Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2008, 06:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Mazda3 - '08 Mazda 3 S
90 day: 29.65 mpg (US)

DR650SE - '13 Suzuki DR650SE
90 day: 46.16 mpg (US)

Wife's - '12 GMC Terrain SLE-2
The importance of a good tire gauge!

I hyperinflated without even knowing it.

Stopped at a gas station about 2 weeks ago about 1/2 mile from where I was working (so tires were almost completely cold). Their fill chuck looked like this

It's the kind where the psi slider comes out when you release the fill lever.

Oil change place had put my tires back down to 35 psi, I was going to put them back to 42 psi (44 max on sidewall). I filled one tire and double checked with my personal gauge. Mine read 42, their read 41 psi. Close enough for me.

At this point someone else came up waiting for air, so I filled the other 3 quickly just using the gauge on the pump.

Oil change place checked em today. Wow. That slider must have been sticking or something. 1 tire had 39 psi, not bad. One was 60 psi! The other 2 were in the low 50's.

Now I am paranoid and will probably carry around 5 different gauges to verify tire pressure with all of them! I just wanted to put this out as a heads up not to make the same mistake I did. My gauges correlated on the 1st tire, but I should have double checked each one. 60 freaking psi! Of course, who knows how many times that air chuck had been ran over by cars, beaten against the pavement, and whatever. I feel stupid for believing what it told me now.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-12-2008, 07:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Weight Reduction

4x4 - '06 Nissan Altima 2.5 Special Edition
90 day: 29.04 mpg (US)

Mom's Van - '99 Plymouth Voyager SE
90 day: 25.62 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to ankit
You aren't the only one. I believe there was a thread or post by someone else before who said they inflated their tires accidentally to 60 psi or so and then had a blowout. Good thing that didn't happen to you.

Quote:
Live Simply So Others Can Simply Live
-Ed Begley Jr.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

My tire guage, let me show it to you.

I have tinted the different parts different colors. I blanked out some of the background to get the files size down.

Clockwise from the upper left:
The red thing is a male quickrelease connector for my air hose.

The blue is an adjustable air pressure regulator, adjusted for a max pressure of 15% or so LESS than the max scale on the pressure gauge, see below.

The green is a tire inflater that harbor freight had on sale for $5 or so at the springfield MA store a while back.

The yellow is a pressure guage with a maximum scale of 100 PSI.
This is not the guage that came with the inflator originally. The original gauge had a maximum scale of 250 PSI, so that the gauge needle would not peg and bend when the inflator was attached to a 249 PSI air supply by the user.
I had to remove the original gauge (the threads are glued), drill the hole for a 1/8 national pipe taper (NPT) tap, and rethread. 1/8 NPT is what my new 100 PSI gauge uses.
Now you doubtless ask, why a 100 PSI gauge? Why not a gauge with more resolution, say a 60 PSI gauge if you are going to inflate to 44 PSI?

Because all gauges of this type (bourdon tube) are non-linear in response. You will have noticed that the scale printed on the dial face IS linear, however! Why? The customer will think the gauge is "ugly" if the scale is printed nonlinear, that is, compressed and expanded to make the gauge actually accurate. You will notice a little peg to stop the needle so it cannot go much below "zero", and you can guess why.

Get to the point, blotivating windbag, you scream at your monitor.

The gauge IS accurate near the center point of the scale. That is where it is calibrated in production. A 100 PSI gauge is accurate around the 50 PSI mark. Since I inflate to 44, I am close to the accurate area.

All the parts are surplus and hardly cost anything at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tiregauge3.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	924  
Old 06-18-2008, 10:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

2000FordRanger - '00 Ford Ranger
Any brand/model recommendations for those of us who don't need yet another do-it-yourself project?

Lane
Old 06-18-2008, 10:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veggiedynamics

Volt12 - '12 Chevy Volt base
I got a hand held digital one, its pretty accurate compared to my analog dial gauges, displays to the tenth of a PSI.. pretty nice and its solid aluminum so it durable as hell.

Was only 15 bucks..

Old 06-18-2008, 12:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Accutire seems to be the brand on Amazon.com. The reviews are all over the place, so it's next to impossible to make a judgment about which model to get or whether to look for another brand.

Lane
Old 06-19-2008, 12:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Hyundai Accent - '01 Hyundai Accent
90 day: 38.4 mpg (US)

Gixer - '97 Suzuki GSXR600
90 day: 43.12 mpg (US)
I just ordered one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Accutire-MS-40...3850333&sr=8-1

My mom has had one for a few years and it is still working. I don't know if it is accurate, but it always reads the same for multiple readings in a row, so if it is off it will be easy to correct for.

Last edited by jesse.rizzo; 06-19-2008 at 12:42 AM.. Reason: added picture
Old 06-19-2008, 06:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks, Jesse! I was leaning toward that one myself, and your note pushed me over the edge. Mine is orderered, too.

Lane
Old 01-15-2009, 09:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2012 Golf TDI - '12 Volkswagen Golf TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 45.51 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse.rizzo View Post
I just ordered one of these: Amazon.com: Accutire MS-4021B Standard Digital Tire Gauge: Automotive

My mom has had one for a few years and it is still working. I don't know if it is accurate, but it always reads the same for multiple readings in a row, so if it is off it will be easy to correct for.
I got one of these for xmas a couple years ago, it lasted EXACTLY one day. No luck getting ahold of the manufacturer either.

BP-turbo 93 Festiva (long gone)
1/4 mile - 12.50@111.5
Best MPG - 36.8
Old 01-15-2009, 01:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModder

Big Salsa - '04 Toyota Sienna LE

Silver - '10 Toyota Prius III
The definition of accurate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse.rizzo View Post
I just ordered one of these: Amazon.com: Accutire MS-4021B Standard Digital Tire Gauge: Automotive

The definition of accuracy is that you get the same thing several times in a row, the definition of precision is the average of the readings is correct... you either want something both precise and accurate, or at least accurate so you can correct for it...