View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 06:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
RobertISaar
Master EcoModder

MC SBX - '95 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS
Last 3: 29.75 mpg (US)
yay, something i'm an expert on....

the 94-95 3100 A-bodies have an ECM that is unique to them, so any other 94-95 3100 A-body ECM will work.

you can build or buy an ALDL cable to communicate with the ECM via a laptop using tunerpro RT. i've built the definition for it and it's been tested by a few people to work correctly.

the A-body is unique in that the 94-95 3100s use an integrated MAF and no MAP sensor. the other 94-95 3100s don't use a MAF sensor. they still all use 1 O2 sensor. the A-body also uses an older style MEMCAL ECM, the other platforms used a module that is equipped with flash ROM.

i could reprogram the MEMCAL from your ECM to whatever thermostat you want to run, but it would probably take around a week to ship it from you to me, me reprogram it, then send it back to you.

the speedometer being off could be one of two things: goofy calibration from GM (would not be the first time) due to one calibration having to fit multiple scenarios, such as different wheel/tire options or it could be that the speedometer itself is the issue. if the odometer is reading correctly and the speedo seems off, then the calibration is fine. if the odometer reads incorrectly, then the calibration is at least one problem.

i actually have the calibration used on the 94-95 A-bodies listed as having fan 1 and 2 on at:

106 *C (223*F)
112 *C (234*F)

then, they turn off when they reach:

102 *C (216*F)
108 *C (227*F)