View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 12:28 PM   #61 (permalink)
ncc74656m
Zerg Lurker

Wow, Ben, this is an incredible project, and something I'll rather enjoy following if only as a bystander.

I sadly haven't the time or money - even the minimal of really either - nor the work space to attempt something like this, but it's fun to live vicariously. I'm also planning at some point (perhaps this coming summer?) to make some "factory look" fiberglass eco parts. Grill blocks, rear wheel covers, etc, that can easily be attached and detached, all painted up to match the car to see if I can routinely squeeze a few more MPGs out of my car. Sadly I've never quite seen the mileage I got out of it the first few months I owned it, which oddly, was when I was having trouble driving the stick.

Forgive the fact that n00b questions follow - I'm curious, not knocking on your choices.

Anyway, I wanted to ask a question, or, probably, several in the form of one:

Why is it that you didn't just put the bed to use hosting a genny like your Metro? I'm sure you can find one that would do the trick of charging your batts while still weighing less and consuming less fuel than the diesel, right? From my understanding, the electric motors should be able to provide higher torque and power than the diesel (especially the one in question), especially if you 'teamed' them up somehow.

This would also give the advantage of having more room and weight for batteries, right?