View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 05:02 AM   #48 (permalink)
BarelyAWake
EcoModding Apprentice

Well, just as inevitable as the long, cold dark this time o'year is the onset of illness - the upstairs neighbor's kid seems determined to bring home every bug they can find... and sharing is good right? Yea...

So, addled on cough syrup & brain filled with snot the simplest tasks become a challenge - fortunately I've a looooong list of challenging simple tasks lol, so I've mucked about just doing not very interesting or photogenic things like some minor rewiring, resoldering connectors & reorganizing components to adapt to this different hub drive, battery pack & the fact it's now 36 instead of 48 volt.

Nevertheless, in the predawn silence and with no fanfare save a small snort of satisfaction - a major milestone was reached, the electric drive is live! While I was just testing components - this does mean I could tidy it up a bit, drag it outside & tootle around w/two of it's three drive systems (pedal & electric ofc)... dunno if I'm gonna though, seems like cheating somehow heh

Here's a pic & a very short lil vid... not terribly exciting I suspect - unless yer the guy who's had the silly thing "dead" on his bench all this time ...don't worry 'bout the "wheel hop" as in my haste I didn't seat the bead properly - the rim & tire is getting replaced anyway;

MVI_2305 - YouTube

One of the "minor" tasks I've obv not attended to is cleaning up my shop, but hey - gotta have priorities right? & jus' because it's been awhile, this is what the taddy and my shop is s'posed to look like lol;

...and one of the consequences of switching to 36v instead of the originally planned 48 is I've both 48 to 12v & 12 to 48v power converters that are now no longer applicable... so in the interest of simplicity, I've temporally shelved any attempt at efficient cross-charging and just got a wee lil inverter to plug the LiFePO4 charger into - it's a cheat & wasteful it's true, but also really easy & convenient *shrug* even if/when I sort out the 36v thing (converters) or decide I need to upgrade back to 48v it'll still be a handy thing to have I figure;

Wagan 2402-5 Smart AC 200W Inverter;

...and another pesky lil thing I've neglected for too long is a center stand - I gave thought to stea... erm *cough* "borrowing" the super-rugged stand off'n a friend's 70's Puch moped parked (& leaking b'dangit) in my shop - then realized he'd have far more to gain "borrowing" my stuff then me his, so I jus' went ahead and ordered a second one of these, the first being usurped by Mongo the ebike, as so many other taddy bits have;

Acclaim Double Black Kickstand;

While a nice "clean" (no exposed springs etc) stand & rugged enough for the job, it like most isn't strong enough for me to kick start the ICE and/or put my full weight on it with the weight of the taddy too - but I don't need to do either of those things (auto clutched and electric start, kick is just a backup) and it'd be easy enough to modify if I decide I wanna... and it's a LOT lighter than the Puch's steel one w/o the consequences lol
The Following User Says Thank You to BarelyAWake For This Useful Post:
HHOTDI (12-06-2012)