View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 10:20 AM   #69 (permalink)
Slow_s10
Super Lurker!

Rusty - '88 Chevrolet S10 base
90 day: 23.72 mpg (US)

Doc - '08 Honda Civic EX-L
90 day: 29.6 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
Ben, I was looking through that S10/Sonoma spec PDF that Slow_S10 linked to, and noticed a few possibilities to consider.

Our trucks are 1995s, but the body sizing is very close AFAIK to the 2001 the PDF details. The regular shortbox and the sportside are both about 76" long. Both boxes are 68" wide above the wheels, however the sportside tapers more to the rear, almost a full foot difference. Could that factor in when considering aerocaps? Maybe swap to a sportside, and smooth it out some? [[Page 31 & 34 on PDF]]

Also: Our generation (94-97) have different front ends than the 98+, but to swap fronts between generations you can change out the radiator support and it'll all bolt up (hopefully). From a side view, the Isuzu front end is significantly more slanted, and the S10/Sonoma/Bravada fronts are snub-nose. [[Page 27 & 28 on PDF]].

I understand low-cost is your goal, but maybe... just maybe... it's worth checking?
Actually I think you might be on to something. You could get a step side bed ant then build some fillers that taper from the cab to the wheel wells then remove the steps behind the wheel wells and taper it all the way to the back. You could definitely end up with a very much improved aero bed. I have honestly never really cared for the step side bed look either but I think this has the potential to work really well.. although it may look fairly odd when you are done.

Also on swapping front ends, to install any of the 98+ S-series front ends just like you said all you just have to change out the radiator core support and all of the other parts just clip to it. And the bumpers bolt on in the exact same spots. The only other thing that you would have to change would be the wiring pigtails for the headlights.

But yeah in the s-10 community front end swaps are very common. When I had my old black S10 I would frequently swap between several different configurations. I had a full S10 front end, GMC front end and, Bravada front end, and on top of that the Bravada and GMC grilles also work with each other's bumpers. And I would just swap them out whenever I felt like doing something different. I always wanted to get an hombre front end but for that one you have to get the hood too since the s10/gmc hood is significantly different.

Just for giggles here is what a stock Hombre looks like:

And here is a S-10 Blazer with an Hombre front end installed:

And here is my old truck with the s10 front end installed:

and with the Bravada front end installed:

Now for what it's worth if you don't feel like going that far, swapping over to a 95-97 Blazer front end with the composite headlights would probably also improve the aero a little, but it is a direct bolt on to the core support that you have now.

Here is an example of an s10 with the Blazer composite headlights and grill:

PS: sorry for all the pictures... but I love pictures.