View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 10:39 AM   #476 (permalink)
oldbeaver
EcoModding Apprentice

Mercedes 89 D - '89 Mercedes 300 E
90 day: 33.86 mpg (US)

Skodie - '09 Skoda Octavia TDI PD
90 day: 38.84 mpg (US)

1993 Mercedes 300D Turbo - '93 Mercedes Benz 300D Turbo W124
90 day: 26.19 mpg (US)

Crossie - '16 Subaru XV Crosstreak
90 day: 9.61 mpg (US)

Crossie - '16 Subaru XV Crosstreak
90 day: 33.34 mpg (US)
Practical problems with HHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
tangomar -

Here is the conclusion from the thesis :

DESIGN AND APPLICATIONS OF HYDROXY (HHO) SYSTEM
http://library.cu.edu.tr/tezler/7998.pdf

CarloSW2
I donīt approve what Carlo said, however it makes sense to me having a better control of the HHO generetor to make it more efficient.

I constructed two systems myself, the first has one cell at 12V and consumed 30A. It produced, say, one quantity of HHO gas wich flew easily to bubbler and from there to admission. But the steel corroded in least than 1 month.

The second consumed 15A and had 10 small cells powered with 1.5 V each. It produced, say, five times as much HHO as first system. So much that it blew the solution down out of the generator. I had to feed a pump to make circulate the solution and put out the gas to the bubler. Steel was very special, hard to work, but didnīt corrode. However, pump produced foam in the electrolite solution, which made trouble and soon the device wasnīt producing much HHO because foam occupied the place of solution between the plates.

After heating, current consumption increased to 20 A, also.

So, efficiency was decreasing very fast.

Solution didnīt last for a long trip, it consumed and concentration turn to be unsuitable.

What I mean is that it may sound clever in theory, but in the practice is a different thing.

Besides, none of the systems seemed to add power to the engine: in fact, when connected, rpm decreased as when I connected the air conditioner.
I think it was because it was draining more power from battery-alternator than injecting to the engine-alternator.

Supposing we overcome all practical problems, we need to test the efficiency of the generator.

The only acceptable way for me would testing the system in a car with a onboard computer that shows real time fuel consumption. Run the car at a flat speed, say 70 km/h, and switch ON and OFF the HHO generator and see what happens.

I havenīt seen such tests. Just theoretical claims against HHO and other supporting it.

OldBeaver

Last edited by oldbeaver; 12-08-2012 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: improving