View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 05:42 PM   #479 (permalink)
oldbeaver
EcoModding Apprentice

Mercedes 89 D - '89 Mercedes 300 E
90 day: 33.86 mpg (US)

Skodie - '09 Skoda Octavia TDI PD
90 day: 38.84 mpg (US)

1993 Mercedes 300D Turbo - '93 Mercedes Benz 300D Turbo W124
90 day: 26.19 mpg (US)

Crossie - '16 Subaru XV Crosstreak
90 day: 9.61 mpg (US)

Crossie - '16 Subaru XV Crosstreak
90 day: 33.34 mpg (US)
HHO: hoax or what?

The critics of HHO are based on the Second Law of Thermodynamics, right?

They say that a HHO generation system is a closed system, then due to inherent inefficiencies EVER less energy will be got out of HHO gas than energy used in electrolysis.

However, I think (and be my guess to rebate my opinion) that it is not a closed system: water is coming in. In the same way than crude oil is coming into a refinery. This is the raw material. Do you know the energy balance in a refinery? I donīt.

Yes, because in Otto and Diesel engines, the fuel is generated out of the system. They explore, they dig, they extract, they transport, they refine, they transport again and they sell you the ready to use fuel (gas or diesel). Have you consider all the energy wasted in preparing and transporting the fuel?

They use electricity to do that, which is generated with coal, hydro, atomic, natural gas, burning residues, and some diesel to transport.

In the case of HHO, the production of the fuel is in ONBOARD the car.
The raw material in this case is water, the fuel is HHO.

Conclusion:

First: HHO generation is not a closed system, then maybe the Second Law of Thermodynamics do not apply.

Second: petrol and diesel are not produced onboard, they spend a lot of energy to refine and put this fuels redy to use. If these fuels where produced onboard, what would happen?

I am not saying that the energy balance with HHO is possitive, because I cannot test it. And I havenīt seen a person that test it correctly.

Again, just anecdotes in favor (as you said) and theoretical arguments against. Why not just verify, rigourously?

OldBeaver