View Single Post
Old 12-23-2012, 12:52 AM   #10 (permalink)
MetroMPG
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,964 Times in 3,606 Posts
Hmm. I didn't know that about that gearing. Bad guess on my part based on my experience of gearing in 3-cylinder cars.

---

Lean burn: you can tell you're in lean burn a couple of ways:

1) If you have a ScanGauge with X-Gauge, you can set up a custom gauge and monitor it that way (again, search insightcentral for the X gauge setup).

2) You can tell by watching for a significant jump in "instant" fuel economy on the MPG bar graph. EG: in 5th gear at ~50 mph on level ground in warm weather, you'll see ~75 mpg when not in lean burn, and then a jump to ~100 mpg when lean burn engages.

3) After a while, you won't need to watch the gauge(s) to know when you've transitioned into L.B. - you may just be able to feel it: (A) The engine may "stumble" ever so slightly in the transition; (B) Engine responsiveness to the accelerator changes (it becomes less responsive); (C) When the accelerator in my car is held perfectly still through the L.B. transition, the car will actually start to bleed speed very slowly after L.B. engages. (I have to press the pedal down very slightly to maintain speed after the transition.)

I don't know if A, B & C are normal for all Insights. I've driven one other that had a lot fewer miles on it, and I had the impression it was harder to use the butt-o-meter to tell when L.B. engaged on that car.

Lastly, when cruising, the car will automatically cycle out of L.B. to do a "NOX purge" (clear stored NOX out of the 2nd catalytic converter by briefly running rich). Cycles roughly once every minute or two at 50 mph in warm weather, and the purge lasts 5 seconds or so.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:
Ryland (12-23-2012)