View Single Post
Old 12-24-2012, 04:28 AM   #13 (permalink)
vskid3
Master EcoModder

Civic DX (sold) - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 34.15 mpg (US)

GTO (sold) - '04 Pontiac GTO
90 day: 22.62 mpg (US)

Green Brick (sold) - '06 Ford Escape Hybrid
90 day: 31.93 mpg (US)
I have a 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid FWD. IMHO, it is the best all-around small SUV you can buy. My wife meets or exceeds the revised EPA ratings (30/28 city/hwy) every tank driving about 40/60% city/hwy while not always caring a whole lot about mileage. I averaged about 32MPG on our trip from northern Utah to Los Angeles this summer with the cruise set at 70-73MPH and the AC on.

It will only do EV mode to about 40MPH because of the transmission design (explained here, the Prius and Ford's hybrids use similar trannies). In practice, 30MPH is about the max cruising speed that can be sustained on flat ground. I can go about half a mile in EV mode at 20-25MPH. The first gen FEHs are more difficult to get into EV mode than the '09 (possibly '08) and later models. From what I've read, the newer ones will kill the engine almost any time you lift off the accelerator while under 40MPH. Mine usually needs some persuasion such as shifting to L and/or double tapping the brakes.

The battery is about 1.8kWh, but in normal driving it only goes between about 40% and 60% SoC (Prius battery is similar but uses much more of its capacity). I haven't driven it enough in city to really get a feel for the best way to drive it. What I've gathered from those get 40-50+MPG tanks is that accelerating with the gas engine and then gliding in EV mode is the best way to get good mileage under 40MPH.

Camry Thread
E-Bike Thread