View Single Post
Old 12-25-2012, 08:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,555 Posts
Intermittent Brake & Idle problem on Saturn SL2

My mother-in-law has a 2001 Saturn SL2 automatic that thus far has been completely unmolested, it looks like a new car under the hood.

Recently she has been complaining about how the brakes feel, like sometimes they are lacking braking power or something (she had a hard time describing it). Yesterday she pressed the brake when pulling up to a stop light and supposedly the pedal went to the floor though it still had some braking power, but when I sat in the car later the pedal felt fine to me. I traced each line and saw no hints of a fluid leak and the reservoir hasn't gone down, so I'm guessing it's probably the master cylinder. I haven't yet replicated this while driving though. Thoughts?

Also, since we got the car about a year ago, it has had an intermittent "issue" where putting it in park or neutral after driving it results in the RPMs jumping up to about 2500 and staying there (not surging). When first started the idle will eventually settle down as the car warms up, but after a drive it may or may not idle high when put in park. Putting it back in drive and taking it around the block and then parking it again will often cause the idle to drop down to where it's supposed to be. A while back I took some carb cleaner and sprayed around all of the vacuum lines I could find and found nothing.

More recently a CEL has come on and it idles around 3300 in neutral. I plan to take it to get the codes read tomorrow, but any leads would be welcome. It's been getting progressively worse but only recently has the CEL lit.

Last edited by Ecky; 12-25-2012 at 06:30 PM..