View Single Post
Old 12-30-2007, 01:42 PM   #24 (permalink)
dremd
EV OR DIESEL

FarFarfrumpumpen - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS Premium

Quorra - '12 Tesla Model S P85
Send a message via AIM to dremd
My best friend works for BP on Thunderhorse Tech

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunder_Horse

I can say that they are very very serious about emissions. The platform is the first to use electric heating for the majority of their processes (easier to clean up emissions on a gas turbine than an open flame), as well as heat recovery on damn near everything (esp. Turbines) to be used as heat for the next lower temp requirement onboard. They also treat him very well (from what I understand). They take safety very seriously, but for some reason things seam to fail often, They blew a 36" pig port off at 20,000 psi, Basically sunk, put to many sacrificial anodes on sub sea pipes and they rusted away, laid a cable on a live German Torpedo, and a few other things. However as far as I know there have been no injuries.

Regardless an amazing piece of engineering

Oh and they are the only people around here that sell 55 Cetane D2 :-) TDI runs SOOO Smooth on the stuff :-)

That being said; if There was Reasonably priced Bio in town (<$4 a gallon) I'd buy that 95% of the time.
Gone 2013 Nissan LEAF SV
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
6 speed ALH TDI Swapped in to a 2003 Jetta Wagon

Last edited by dremd; 12-30-2007 at 01:47 PM.. Reason: Unsure how much of what I posted was Confidential and Took some out.