View Single Post
Old 06-14-2008, 12:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
Don't be at high throttle positions when you drop into gear or the tranny may see the low vacuum as a suggestion for a lower gear - VERY exciting, and not in a good way. I tend to buzz past my engine's set speed, then let it meander back to the correct revs and engage it while the engine is coasting down (sometimes under very light throttle, or else it settles back to idle too quickly) - guarantees highest gear on engagement.

Try it a few times at low speeds on a deserted road to get the feel for it.
Ah, the dreaded "Tranny-Bomb" -- although in partial form (full throttle N-to-D shifts at speed will grenade an automatic after a few times). It's safer to be under the RPM engagement point, in most cases, than over.

Something that hasn't been brought up. Engine-off coast (EOC).

(By all means, if you're considering it: practice, practice, practice -- without traffic or obstacles).

It hasn't been 100% confirmed that it reduces transmission life, but Honda transmissions generally aren't rated for towing with the drive wheels in motion.

I started EOC'ing about 30-40K miles ago (2 or so years). I also tightened the throttle cable for firmer shifts (less slippage), and should be 1/4 of the way through changing out to a near-full synthetic fluid. EOC increased my FE quite a bit. As the vehicle ages, I am backing-off of this procedure. Instead, I've replaced it with lower top speeds and downshifting for DFCO (who knows if that's wearing anything out -- probably). The shifter is a busy place these days.

I assume your car has that darned "Hill-Logic Control" to gear-hold up hills or down steep ones. EOC will confuse the daylights out of the TCU's calculations, and TC lockup may be significantly delayed (especially if EOC'd at high speeds).

Armed with that info, if you want to play it conservatively, neutral coast with a rev match (if you do it just right, over 35 MPH, it should be unnoticeable followed by a little shift with the TC engagement). Shutting off at lights/etc and back to drive shouldn't be that big of a deal.

RH77

_
_