View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 11:53 AM   #32 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Did this test again, as described in your last post, Old Mech. The main, lower sound does not change, though it does disappear under a 5 or 10 MPH. There is a second sound that appears slightly in second and then louder in first, and that's the one I have heard for years and described yesterday. But the lower sound, the one that has had my concern does in fact reduce in intensity at a regular pace as the wheel RPM reduces, which if I understand your excellent directions, suggests the carrier bearing.

I keep hearing from other guys that it could still be the hub bearing units (too or instead) because despite the honda manual's test recommendations, sometimes the bearings make such noises as they begin to fail even when they offer no measurable play. I suspect that the only way I will find out will be through changing-out parts. But if you have an opinion about the wheel bearing units, I'd love to hear it too.

james
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.