View Single Post
Old 06-14-2008, 10:35 PM   #41 (permalink)
Nerys
Grrr :-)

Cherokee - '88 Jeep Cherokee
90 day: 19.44 mpg (US)

Ryo-Ohki - '94 Geo Metro Xfi
90 day: 50.15 mpg (US)

Vger 2 - '00 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE

Ninja - '89 Geo Tracker
90 day: 30.27 mpg (US)
Ok first I hate it when people say it can not work because it takes more energy than you get out of it AS IF this some how does NOT apply to gasoline? Entrophy and Conservation applies to ALL power sources. Period. So stop mentioning it since this only shows lack of understanding over what is happening.

I am NO expert on this but HERE is where I see several problems etc..

First You should not have to modify the engine or ECU at all in modern cars (may be required in older cars)

The ECU should handle this for you. As it detects more fuel in the system (hydrogen) it should realize that hey there is too much fuel here. Since YOUR injecting the H2 independently it will compensate by reducing the amount of gasoline it injects.

This all depends on whether the remains of H2 combustion properly trigger the ECU into recognizing that there is more fuel in the system than it needs.

Next problem. STORING the hydrogen. Its very hard to "hang onto" hydrogen it can and will escape from most containers rather adeptly. IE the entire problem has always been being able to CONTAIN enough hydrogen to be useful.

Next. POWER. power is not relevant to me. MONEY is relevant to me. SO what I need to know is will the "fuel saved" by the injection of hydrogen offset the cost of the electricity to produce that hydrogen.

IF it saves me $4 in gasoline per tank and only costs me $2 in electricity to produce it on my electric bill then IT IS worth it regardless of how "efficient" it is.

The cost of our energy is of NO consequence to the EFFICIENCY of the energy medium.

My only concern is does the energy needed to make hydrogen (even if its ten times more than it will get me in the engine) CHEAPER than the gasoline it stops me from having to use.