View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 10:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Slopfrog
EcoModding Lurker

Stay in best BSFC zone even if torque converter slips?

I have been playing with accelerating efficiently and I've realized that I can make my tranny shift into third quickly, then get on the throttle and hold 2500 RPM at 65-70% load. This results in fairly brisk acceleration. About 45 mph I can just let off the throttle and it upshifts and locks the torque converter.

Although I don't have a BSFC Diagram for my engine (2.0L "Beta II" in many hyundais and kias), I assume that this RPM/LOAD is near the best efficiency point. But I can't help but wonder if it is allowing the torque converter to slip too much and is undoing any extra efficiency the engine might be gaining. Whereas operating at a lower load level might result in less slippage, possibly meaning that the entire BSFC diagram for the drivetrain system gets shifted "downwards" to lower load levels.

In other words, unlike a manual transmission, I think the efficiency of the engine and automatic tranny must be considered together to make the BSFC diagram useful.

Any thoughts? Trying to avoid a detailed investigation into something that others have already figured out! (And save the gas I'd have to burn!)