View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 11:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
AaronMartinSole
Your car looks ridiculous

The Fantastic Festiva - '90 Ford Festiva L
90 day: 43.16 mpg (US)

A Civic Duty - '96 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 34.9 mpg (US)

Ranger Danger - '96 Ford Ranger XL
90 day: 17.42 mpg (US)
So I just replaced my PCV valve, which took almost an hour, lol. Should have taken less than five minutes. Again, took about half an hour to find where it was, when of course it was staring in my face, mocking me the entire time. "Man, look at this idiot. He's never going to find me. I'm clogged here!" Yeah, turns out, thing was clogged shut. Shook that thing and it barely rattled. And the hole it was in was super dirty too. I took a few sad swipes at it with some q-tips, but like that really helped. "Wow, look at this massive underground New York sewer caked with dirt! I know what will help, this tiny q-tip!" (edit: turns out it's a dirty PCV valve grommet, and I'm supposed to just buy a new one for few dollars.) YouTube ultimately helped me find the PCV valve. I am the worst diagram reader. You could give me a diagram of how to tie my shoes and it would take me days. I think it's a legitimate form of dyslexia. Diagram-dyslexia. I stumbled across something called a PCV breather box or something. Managed to get one bolt off while underneath the car, tried to smack it with a rubber mallet, then gave up. Lol, story of my life.

Watched a short video of the PCV Postive Crankcase Ventilation system. I think a clogged PCV can cause high NOx readings, but I have no idea. Am I wrong? Because I think the idea is that exhaust fumes escape, and the PCV kind of recycles it back into the engine to burn it more completely, resulting in fewer emissions. I think that's the same idea with the EGR Exhaust Gas Recirculation. Recycling and re-burning the fumes. Something like that.

So do I need to clean out the breather box? Is this part of the recommended and necessary maintenance?

Also I just changed my manual transmission fluid using AMSOIL Synchromesh or something. It was $10 a bottle at a mom and pop store! Filled 2 Quarts. But it seemed like only a quart and half came out. I think they made a price check mistake selling it that cheap. I filled it with the car on jack stands. Someone recommended that I let the car down, then fill it. How do I know it has the right amount without a dipstick? I think someone said just fill until it stops dripping out or if you put your finger in it and feel fluid, it should be fine, and you should fill and check the level on the ground, not on jack stands. So I plan on letting the car down and then seeing if some pours out. If it doesn't, I'll stick my finger in and check if I feel fluid. If I do, then I hope it's okay? Please correct me if I'm missing something.

Now next on the list of things to do in order of highest priority, main goal being to pass the dreaded smog test.

1.) O2 Sensor (Is there any way to check it? I'd like to be able to save the money if possible. Would a junkyard O2 sensor possibly work? edit: oh there is a way. I'm checking it out right now but it looks like a tester is needed. edit 2: oh great, the tester only costs $100! I guess I'll just knuckle under and buy a $60 sensor ;(!!! )
2.) Clean EGR
3.) Clean PCV Breather Box? And if I should, how in the world do I get it off? I took the bolt on the bottom out, and I can't find any other bolts. I felt all around it.
4.) Check spark plugs and re-gap.

edit: Did some more reading.

5.) I'm going to check for vacuum leaks? (no idea how)
6.) Check for a dirty MAF and clean it. (Car only has MAP - Manifold Absolute Pressure. Still researching.)
7.) Check throttle bodies.
8.) Check fuel injectors.
9.) Check air regulator or IAC.
10.) Replace fuel filter.
11.) Valve adjustment.
12.) Check for exhaust system backpressure. http://www.civicforums.com/forums/17...kpressure.html

I have no idea what these things are, what they do, or where they are. Awesome! Really hoping adjusting the timing will do the trick. And a lot of these things are good maintenance anyway.

One interesting thing to add is the speedometer on this car is very erratic jumping everywhere. If I remember right it seems to work okay over 40mph.

That's all I got. I'm out of bullets. Is there something else I should do?

Read something off a forum that was interesting. Don't know if it's true:

"replacing good catalytic converters is a favourite scam of muffler shops.
they used to do it long before there was emissions testing.

converters on older cars dodn't reduce NOx emissions.
mine doesn't. I think it's called a one-stage converter.
Only 2-stage converters on later cars do anything to reduce NOx. "

I could check the cat by comparing the inlet and outlet temperatures. I think the outlet temperature should be as high or higher than the inlet or something.

I heard some shops put a fan in front of the car and says it makes a difference. Who knows if that's true. I have heard that turning the heat on while the test is running may help. Should help dissipate the heat. I've gotta remember to try that, but the smog tech will probably turn it off when he gets in the car anyway, who knows. Plus it's basically cheating isn't it, heh.

The smog history on this car is interesting. It failed two times in the span of three weeks, then passed 2 months later. The smog tech said maybe they passed illegally. Basically pay someone to test another car and write it down as theirs, bribing the smog tech with some money. Who knows. But I refuse to take that route and I know that I can pass it and with flying colors. It would be worth it for the joy of that victory alone. Couldn't live with myself, driving in a car filled with lies. I will get her back to health and I will treat her right.

Last edited by AaronMartinSole; 01-06-2013 at 05:09 AM..