View Single Post
Old 06-15-2008, 03:28 AM   #46 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
trikkonceptz -

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikkonceptz View Post
-cfg83

The setup is very simple ... you tap the intake after the MAP sensor avoiding such problems with air fuel ratios .. the only variable is the ECU leaning back the fuel once it realizes it needs less to combust in the chamber. They claim that the Hydrogen created is browns gas and other than the mineral water to start it, distilled water is all you need to maintain it. They claim there is no cleaning or maintenance involved once you install it.

Their only caution is that you install it below the level of the air intake. Also the unit has a pretty hefty air filter, but otherwise, simplicity it is.
If it works, the "no cleaning" must be because of the benign mineral water catalyst.

If you insert the H2/02 after the MAP/MAF sensor, then you don't need to spoof it. I think I have heard of this strategy before.

It has been my understanding that the A/F ratio is important regardless of the MAP/MAF sensor. The extra 02 being generated creates an air stream that has a higher oxygen content than "normal atmostphere". Under hypermiling conditions, the engine is probably in closed-loop operation 99% of the time. Since the ECU/PCM uses the 02 sensor to determing the A/F ratio, more oxygen in the exhausts gases *should* result in the ECU/PCM adding fuel to compensate, .

Tech - Closed Loop
http://www.hondata.com/techclosed.html
Quote:
In closed loop operation the ECU uses the oxygen sensor to tell if the fuel mixture is rich or lean. However, due to the characteristics of the oxygen sensor it can’t tell exactly how rich or lean, it only knows that the mixture is richer or leaner than optimum. The ECU will enrich the mixture if the oxygen sensor shows that the mixture is lean, and lean the mixture if it looks rich. The result of this is that the mixture will swing back and forward around the stoichiometric point.
If there is more oxygen, then the 02 sensor will be detecting more than "14.7" parts oxygen in the exhaust stream, so the ECU/PCM will richen the mixture (add fuel).

Quote:
Currently the Palm beach sherrif's office is putting 2 units in their cruisers to see what results they get. With the beating those cars take any positive change will be a good boost for their product.
From what I have read, this could be the best scenario for the system. Again, for hypermilers that are not putting their engines under high load conditions, the projected benefits would probably be less.

Quote:
Mind you they have video dyno tests of thir unit working on a vehicle with and without. They basically moved an established system into this test vehicle to see immeadiate results. The dyno confirmed improvements of 7 miles per gallon I think. They did the run with and empty tank adding 1 gallon of gas each time, once without the unit as baseline and a second time with it for their tests.

Who knows this may actually work, I figured you guys could sniff out a rat if it were to good to be true.
I am a biased proponent, but I wish the price was lower. I hate spending other people's money on my recommendation unless I am 90%+ sure they will benefit or the price/risk is low. They aren't really selling you a complicated product. The materials are probably less than $100. They are selling their "expertise" to make it work.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society

Last edited by cfg83; 06-16-2008 at 11:48 PM..