View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 04:02 PM   #358 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
The charts also show the entire period of the Industrial Revolution.
I have highlighted your problem above. Fix that part. Didn't we discuss the selective use of start and end dates before, I seem to recall we both agreed this was "cherry picking" ? The Industrial Revolution happens to coincide with the (theoritcal based on instruments) end of the LIA. Bummer but true, as far as science knows.

Quote:
What matters most is the present climate changes.
Nope - Assuming we have a decent enough handle on what is happening now - debateable, then the key problem is that we don't have reliable records prior to 1750 - so we have absolutely no idea if anything we are experiencing now in terms of absolute temps or trends is unusual.

There is evidence that shows the MWP was less warm than some think it might have been, there is some evidence that it was local to Northern Europe and not a global thing and evidence that both of those things are not correct. (I can do links but there are quite a few).

Both are estimates based on research.

Quote:
Ducking out of the conversation does not negate the facts.
Maybe people get fed up with the language - "facts" versus "theory".

Quote:
Physics will not be denied, and the climate has the last word.
Nice introduction of the "denier" idea there - well I tried to keep it civil I suppose.

Anyway it's a bit more complicated than that. I'd like science to find out more. Are you denying science can help here ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Just plain wrong. The Irish Potato Famine was caused by a disease Phytophthora infestans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia which in fact requires fairly warm temperatures (and humidity) to spread.
Agreed.

In relation to climate cooling there is a recorded drop in food production at the start of the LIA when it got cooller - it was very severe here in the UK. People died, the population shrank. It was not good.

Compared to when it was warmer when people lived longer, ate better and built cathedrals to give thanks to god for it all.