View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 12:06 PM   #362 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
Warming continues even through the past sixteen years. So it is total bunk otherwise.
Well, take that "total bunk" idea up with the met office because they now agree the warming is paused. Read the links to the scientists carefully - there is wisdom there if you wish to follow it. They even suggest is a pause - not a stop.

But never mind. At the end of the day it is up to you - good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Fifty years later I'm living in that "comic book". Still happy.
Well kinda - otherwise you wouldn't be here in this forum powered by the internet. You know the internet - invented in America during the cold war, productionised in Japan at the end of the "good old days" of economic boom, and now made in China very cheaply so we don't have inflation.

I like comics too

=================================

This does lead me to a question - if CO2 induced climate change is the major crisis facing the world's civilisation right now what are you doing here ?

Sounds odd ?

Think about it.

We live in houses which are expensive to build in terms of resources. Why ? We can use less resources for building if we all agree to live in a tower block.

They consume energy for lighting, heating, cooking etc. This could be shared in a block - especially heating. Local councils here in the UK used to heat local houses using water heated from the burning of waste and circulated between them.

Anyone here living in their own house with maybe some land volunteering to move into a tower block ? No I thought not.

Some of us have kids - there are the Hummers of civilisation in terms of resource consumption and CO2 production. And we discuss over population here too. So to prevent this do we stop people having kids or just kill some people - and who do we start with, the old, the young - both are "undproductive" ?

Obviously these ideas are nonsense, but they need to be thought about - is YOUR kid more valuable than one in Africa or Bangladesh ? Should your elderly parents live longer when people die at 40 or 50 in those places ?

Difficult questions.

And yet we are here on this forum which is on the internet.

That means we have a PC or a Phone which needs power, that makes CO2 and makes / consumes dangerous metals and causes polution. We communicate over a network which needs power - CO2, heavy metals, polution. If it isn't we moan a lot at our local internet provider, threaten to move from them as customers, give them a bad review, tell our friends and so on.

Also we expect our power to work 24/7 - that includes in the middle of the night when the wind might not blow and the sun isn't shining so also when renewables don't seem to work at all - so we also need to burn gas or coal or use nuclear.

Bummer ? Can we get away with temporary power ? Anyone here want to try that and see what happens to the contents of your fridge ? Anyone want to do that again and think what might happen if you had to keep medicine in your fridge ?

This is what we expect the developing world to deal with because we fear CO2.

So we meet on a forum hosted on a server which is also available 24/7 (power and network as above) sitting in a server farm which is not only backed up by a UPS (which consumes power to keep it charged) it is also air conditioned - thats loads more power and more CO2 and more resources and more polution.

I suspect this server is not busy 24/7 even with all the worldwide visitors here.

And this is a forum discussing the best way to drive and mod our cars - you know cars - that make CO2, and create polution as they go and make polution in their creation and disposal and servicing - just where do those old spark plugs go, that old air filter, that old oil ?

And no, not all of us have "recycled" old cars but we tend to hold on to them for longer.

By any measure this is a total crime against Mother Gaia and any future generations - according to some people we are literally murdering future generations and should face "crimes against humanity" trials just so we can compare grill blocks, side skirts, WAIs and the best use of coroplast.

Like most of us I rely to a greater or lesser extent on our civilisation - power, comms, food supplies, fuel supplies - the lot. We all do even if some don't like to. Minimising that reliance seems sensible because it reduces the resources used and reduces our financial burden. Recycling is also a really good idea if managed well.

Surely if you believe this is the clear and present danger against the world and humanity / civilisation you should be holed up in a yurt somewhere off the grid, communicating only by mobile phone (2nd hand of course) charged by solar power and eating only food you have grown or caught yourself cooked on stoves powered by stuff which either generates no CO2 or where you can offset it.

I suspect this is not the case, but I am a cynic.

Prove me wrong - please.