View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 11:47 AM   #96 (permalink)
Blackbird3
EcoModding Lurker

Elio economics

A few additional questions for discussion regarding the price point. The biggest fear I have with the start of this project is maintaining the price point in an American MFG market. Based on interviews with Paul (on the web) he notes that the design is technically classified a motorcycle and not subject to $$$ government test criteria. Very smart direction in my opinion. By removing the 4th wheel and placing the seat in the rear they can skip the costly certification process that typically buries start up car companies. While Paul notes multiple times that they will bring "X" amount of jobs to LA they never say Union jobs! Which makes me Very happy and optimistic in the success. Since this is classified a Motorcycle I do not think they will have issues with the Previous Auto union or regulations. Nothing against Unions but if this thing has a prayer of getting off the ground they cant open the doors with assembly people making 60 dollars per hour with union dues etc. Didn't work for GM and I highly doubt it will work for a start up. Any thoughts??

Dave