Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 05:01 AM   #91 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Your 2nd image is only loading to about 33%.

I hope that's not the 'for reals' gas tank.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-14-2013, 09:29 AM   #92 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
The location of the gas tank is the most worrying thing for me.

Think Cg. The absolute worst thing for the Elio would be to have it become unstable in a double lane accident avoidance test.

The people who built the Trev admit that even with the 45kg battery (~12% of the 350kg total) it needs the Cg to be moved forward (toward the two front wheels), since it gets unstable at speed when a second person is onboard.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 01-14-2013, 09:48 AM   #93 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by niky View Post
Small cars that do 60 in 6 typically have bloody expensive turbocharged motors that drink gas like nobody's business, shred engine mounts and CV Joints, and are a pain to maintain down the line. I just don't see the appeal for something that's being marketed as an eco-commuter that costs as much as a secondhand Corolla (0-60, 9 seconds with a stick)
Had no trouble with my 89 Ford SHO. 6.5 0-60 and maybe less with mods. Never shredded anything due to spirited driving, just age. Had to let her go with 187k on the clock due to space and finding parts. 32 mpg on highway. 25 average. 250 hp with free flowing intake and exhaust. No aero mods, no belly pans, didn't remove mirrors and antenna, no turbo, 3k lb midsize sedan. Quick enough is a personal thing. But that being said, after reading 0-60 times in some of the cars I've had, the Elio's quickness could be deceiving. My 73 RX4 had a very slow 1st. But second pushed you back in the seat and left muscle cars behind - for a time. It's 0-60 was about the same as the Elio's but I "remember" it being as quick as my SHO.

Great pics. I'm assuming these are prototype photos of the Elio's frame and drivetrain? Too bad no overhead view or engine bay. Where did you get them?
Old 01-14-2013, 10:31 AM   #94 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Unfortunately these are the only photos I could find and the resolution is not something I could control. Here is another image comparing the Elio to a BMW 3 series. Not much more detail but another variation. Looking at a the screen capture from Elio's recent video it does appear that this is a concept design as the gas tank appears to now be moved below the passenger seat area. Moving the seat forward and raising it to allow some foot well room. I can also see the exhaust exits from the rear wheel well at about 10 o'clock. Also, they have gone with Thankfully a different seat setup from these beta photos!

Dave

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Old 01-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #95 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doclees View Post
Had no trouble with my 89 Ford SHO. 6.5 0-60 and maybe less with mods. Never shredded anything due to spirited driving, just age. Had to let her go with 187k on the clock due to space and finding parts. 32 mpg on highway. 25 average. 250 hp with free flowing intake and exhaust. No aero mods, no belly pans, didn't remove mirrors and antenna, no turbo, 3k lb midsize sedan. Quick enough is a personal thing. But that being said, after reading 0-60 times in some of the cars I've had, the Elio's quickness could be deceiving. My 73 RX4 had a very slow 1st. But second pushed you back in the seat and left muscle cars behind - for a time. It's 0-60 was about the same as the Elio's but I "remember" it being as quick as my SHO.

Great pics. I'm assuming these are prototype photos of the Elio's frame and drivetrain? Too bad no overhead view or engine bay. Where did you get them?
Well, a Taurus SHO is not a "small" car, not by any means!
Old 01-14-2013, 11:47 AM   #96 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Elio economics

A few additional questions for discussion regarding the price point. The biggest fear I have with the start of this project is maintaining the price point in an American MFG market. Based on interviews with Paul (on the web) he notes that the design is technically classified a motorcycle and not subject to $$$ government test criteria. Very smart direction in my opinion. By removing the 4th wheel and placing the seat in the rear they can skip the costly certification process that typically buries start up car companies. While Paul notes multiple times that they will bring "X" amount of jobs to LA they never say Union jobs! Which makes me Very happy and optimistic in the success. Since this is classified a Motorcycle I do not think they will have issues with the Previous Auto union or regulations. Nothing against Unions but if this thing has a prayer of getting off the ground they cant open the doors with assembly people making 60 dollars per hour with union dues etc. Didn't work for GM and I highly doubt it will work for a start up. Any thoughts??

Dave
Old 01-14-2013, 12:31 PM   #97 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I like a free market and right to work. Organized labor isnt a problem when its competitive.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:28 PM   #98 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by niky View Post
Well, a Taurus SHO is not a "small" car, not by any means!
Just my point. Size means nothing but power to weight does. 3.0 L, 220 stock engine in 3285 lbs vs 1 L, 70 hp engine in a ? 800 lbs. Seems like the 1 L is overkill. Need to know torque. Torque is what makes life fun. If it is the Suzuki K10 variant its specs aren't far from my Triumph motorcycle. Hmmm to tweak or retrofit? I guess we will need to wait for one to come off the line.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:06 PM   #99 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doclees View Post
Just my point. Size means nothing but power to weight does. 3.0 L, 220 stock engine in 3285 lbs vs 1 L, 70 hp engine in a ? 800 lbs. Seems like the 1 L is overkill. Need to know torque. Torque is what makes life fun. If it is the Suzuki K10 variant its specs aren't far from my Triumph motorcycle. Hmmm to tweak or retrofit? I guess we will need to wait for one to come off the line.
...not if you consider "acceleration" requirements for getting onto freeways and passing on hills!
Old 01-14-2013, 06:34 PM   #100 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
...not if you consider "acceleration" requirements for getting onto freeways and passing on hills!
My statement was sarcasm. I had a honda 600. 0-60 in well I don't know. 55 was all I could handle out of that poor little screaming 600 cc engine. Most of the time it was 50 mph. If you can call a car cute this was. 1300 lbs of pure death trap. Started life as a forest - blend with the bushes - green. After many near misses and then one direct hit I went with fluorescent hazard green. Now the bright green didn't make it any faster,http://ecomodder.com/forum/images/smilies/snail.gif +http://ecomodder.com/forum/images/smilies/turtle.gif , but it did make me visible to others so they could hit their brakes sooner.

Tags
lies, scam