View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 05:51 PM   #95 (permalink)
tjts1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcane View Post
Check post #22 again...

The primary claim of TC-W3 oil as an additive is for lubricity. It also has high levels of detergents for cleaning, but I believe that's not an issue if you use a Top Tier gasoline. The study in that post makes it pretty clear that it is effective at significantly improving lubricity when added to diesel fuel and there is no reason that shouldn't apply to gasoline as well.

In my own use, I have seen no measurable gains in fuel economy, but that's not why I use it. I have also seen no negative effects of it's use.
Lubricity in diesel engines is an issue for the mechanical injection pump and injectors. The pump is internally lubricated by the diesel fuel oil running through it. The introduction of ULSD has reduced the lubricity of diesel therefore some owner's of older engines not designed with ULSD in mind use ashless 2 stroke oil as an additive to extend the life of the pump. Depending on the engine, the mechanical diesel injection pump runs at 1,000-8,000 PSI. It is the single most expensive component on a diesel engine.
Your gasoline engine has an electric pump running at 43.5psi in most cases. If you have direct injection your pump is mechanically driven directly off the cam or crank up to 20,000PSI and is lubicated by engine oil. This pump is not responsible for injection timing like an old diesel pump. Pouring 2 stroke oil into a 4 stroke gasoline engine is a stupid waste of money and is likely to damage your catalytic converter over the long term.
Also keep in mind that 2 stroke oil will reduce the octane of your gasoline.

A typical bosch diesel inline injection pump.

Last edited by tjts1; 01-17-2013 at 07:56 PM..