View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 06:49 PM   #213 (permalink)
t vago
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
Quote:
Originally Posted by christofoo View Post
This thread didn't die, and I'm still getting foam flecked PM's from t vago, so I want to try delving back into whether or not DCD will improve FE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by t vago
Quote:
Originally Posted by christofoo
PS, are you saying that you design ICE's for a living? Otherwise don't give me that. Actually, one way or the other, be nice.
Your latest foray into that charlatan's thread illustrates my point rather well. How many edits and "oops" did you do there? Learn more about what you're trying to comment on.
Apparently, in your universe, this counts as "foam-flecked." Alright, prima donna, let's have at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christofoo View Post
But I want to try simplifying my argument again, largely for previously mentioned reasons.

So, here goes:

==============================

DCD vs lean-burn: Why does lean-burn work and DCD not?

Suppose the lean-burn engine is operating at 25% (er, how to say this?) leanness, by which I mean stoichiometric AFR X 1.25.

Compare to DCD with 25% of cylinders deactivated, 75% at stoichiometric AFR. All else being equal, including valve timing.

If you think I'm wrong, explain to me:
  1. Is there a difference in air mass flow rate?
  2. Is there a difference in manifold vacuum?
  3. Whatever else you think requires consideration.
Lean Burn works because intake manifold is lowered, compared to an engine running at stoichiometric. DCD does not work, compared to Lean Burn, because you're placing a drag on the engine (in the form of non-firing cylinders that are still pumping air - therefore consuming more fuel than necessary).

Figure the rest of it out on your own, professor.