View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 06:37 PM   #380 (permalink)
Tesla
Master EcoModder

The Truck - '02 Nissan GU Patrol ST
No experts here either,
Basically I just wanted something that could easily spit out a few pages of dimensions so I didn't have to do every calculation individually or try guess by eye & protracter.

I used the template data to create a smooth line chart, then produced an equation to simulate the same curve, next step is to insert the equation into a spreadsheet so I can print out dimensions at any point along the tail length.

I don't think the template is a perfect equation by the looks of it, I think restricting the tail to a maximum of 22* is an artificial overlay for the seperation issue. I've tried a variety of combinations and it either wants to hump up a bit at the start or go steeper to the end.

Currently I can get a near perfect match to about 30%, then it goes a fraction over to about 70% and then gets steeper and crosses over the template to hit the ground line at around the 93% mark. This should be good enough because in most cases it will cross the undercarriage at 80-85% anyway and if needed I can use an "If" argument in excel to limit the angle to 22* maximum alowing the curve to finish in a straight line at 22* like the template.