View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 12:12 AM   #5980 (permalink)
jyanof
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by type2teach View Post
Loose connections are easy to check, but "shorting the field" and "rotor windings" are not things I'm familiar with. Can someone point me in the direction of how to check these things?
assuming you have a series wound motor like a warp 9 or something, you'll have 4 connections on it, 2 for the armature (rotor) winding and 2 for the field (stator) winding. don't quote me on the terms, i'm going from memory here. anyway, the two sets of windings are connected in series with a short cable, and the two connections leftover go to the motor controller. you might have an S1,S2 and A1,A2 labeled somewhere (i think that's what mine has).

this would be challenging to do, but it'd be interesting to know the voltage across the stator and armature when the 'event' happens. it'd take two multimeters with long cables so you could actually read it while driving. the sum of the two voltages should equal the controller output voltage.

I'm suspecting some connection is opening up instead of something shorting out. if something shorted out, I'd expect the output current to rise and the voltage to drop in order to limit the current. instead, the voltage rises (controller goes full on) and the current drops. it's as if a magic resistor appears in the motor loop - it could even be inside the motor, or in the controller for that matter.

Quote:
And again, this all happened overnight. Everything was running FINE the night before and the next day this just happened. Is the field or windings things that can go bad with no warning?
Thanks for all your help.
i wouldn't think so, but things happen. i drove into work one morning and everything was fine. then, i got in my car 4 hours later to go to lunch and the controller let out smoke.

my buddy was driving around, went over a bump, and 3 of his 4 (ice) engine mounting bolts sheared and the thing hit the ground. sometimes when things fail, there isn't much of a warning.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ting-9325.html
The Following User Says Thank You to jyanof For This Useful Post:
type2teach (01-25-2013)