View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Well, it's been a while since Tim and I put lower and upper grill blocks on our cars.

Since his is gray, he just stuck with the black and gray materials we were using, but I did a little painting.

Sad to say that the red paint has completely flaked off the upper grill-block pipe insulation. Not a big deal, still works great. I just really liked the way it looked in red.

The lower block, make from the black coroplast is MOSTLY still red. It has had some paint flaking, but it looks like what one might expect from road salt, pebbles, and other debris.

Mostly, I wanted to post today to say that I took the wife's Red Hymotion Prius through the car wash. We have WAY TOO MUCH salt on our roads all winter long in my area, and the entire bottom half of her car was white with salt.

I went to the "soft-scrub" car wash, which has ACTUAL GIANT BRUSHES to scrub the car (unlike the "TOUCHLESS" car-wash.)

The reason why I mention this is that the upper grill block was just fine. Even though it's just two strips of pipe insulation (no zip-ties, wire-ties, or anything else) it had no problem going through the car wash without getting yanked out.

Chalk one up to friction fitting!

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
The Following User Says Thank You to bennelson For This Useful Post:
mikeyjd (03-21-2014)