View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 10:16 AM   #16 (permalink)
NeilBlanchard
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Electric cars are incredibly efficient - the *lowest* MPGe rating is 89MPGe for the Tesla Model S. Which only one of the best performing 5 seat (or *7*!!) sedans ever. Electric cars are simply 2-3 times more efficient than all the ICE cars.

If you have not driven an EV, then you owe it to yourself to do so. Even a "slow" EV like the Mitsubishi i MiEV is a revelation because it is so smooth and quiet and quick when you need it most. Cars with the battery pack in the floor (Leaf, i MiEV, Fit EV, Tesla included) also are surprising in that they handle better than you might expect. The Model S in particular has its Cg just 16" above the ground - it handles *better* because it is electric.

If you charge it at night, you can drive an EV for *lower* cost than you would pay for just the regular maintenance on a ICE. To put this another way - you can drive a Leaf for 100,000 miles and *save* about $17,000 vs an average 23MPG car driven the same distance.

The initial cost of electric cars is the main hurdle they have to overcome. And that is improving, with the Leaf S leading the way. The Smart Electric Drive will also lower the cost of owning an EV; and we'll see how GM prices their Spark EV, etc. I think that if they can improve the range, then the higher purchase price will be less of a hurdle.

I think the key thing that makes big manufacturers very hesitant to go ahead and sell as many EV's as they can is the near total lack of any income for maintenance of EV's.

One of the reasons that I am building my own high-efficiency electric car is to try and show what the potential for electric cars is - with today's batteries, it is possible to have a range of 300-400 miles. It all comes down to the efficiency of the car itself - which largely comes down to having low aerodynamic drag.

My challenge to all the auto makers is - who will be the first to build a car that can consume 100-150Wh/mile or less? The EV1 was this good, and Dave Cloud's Dolphin and the Illuminati Motor Works 'Seven', and the SIM-LEI and SIM-WIL, and the Edison2 eVLC, the Trev, and best of all the SolarWorld GT - all these cars can achieve this level of high efficiency.

If the Leaf was as efficient as the EV1, it would have a range of about 140 miles. That car would sell much better, don't you think?

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/

Last edited by NeilBlanchard; 01-28-2013 at 10:29 AM..