View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 04:46 PM   #18 (permalink)
wdb
lurker's apprentice

PlainJane - '12 Toyota Tacoma Base 4WD Access Cab
90 day: 20.98 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
The initial cost of electric cars is the main hurdle they have to overcome.
I agree that they tend to cost more than the equivalent ICE vehicle. However that is not what stops me. Because, as you note:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
If you charge it at night, you can drive an EV for *lower* cost than you would pay for just the regular maintenance on a ICE. To put this another way - you can drive a Leaf for 100,000 miles and *save* about $17,000 vs an average 23MPG car driven the same distance.
Quote:
I think the key thing that makes big manufacturers very hesitant to go ahead and sell as many EV's as they can is the near total lack of any income for maintenance of EV's.
I must disagree. I'm not a conspiracy theory kind of guy, and the fact is that most people do *nothing* *whatsoever* to their cars themselves, so the dealer's repair shop will still get business. It's the range that stops people. The range, and the knowledge that if one exceeds it, one can't just call AAA.
Quote:
If the Leaf was as efficient as the EV1, it would have a range of about 140 miles. That car would sell much better, don't you think?
Yes I do. I'd very seriously consider a sub-$40K electric car with 140 mile range. It would handle one of my commutes with ease, and darn near handle the other. And since I know a bunch of smart hypermiling people, I might be able to stretch 140 miles into 180...