Thread: CRX HF steal
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 03:27 PM   #18 (permalink)
stiletto2
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCruxHF View Post
Reading about several projects that have been successful, I am wondering which has the biggest bang per buck? Seems like a almost pointed wedge in the front end would be the answer here...piercing the wind instead of bulldozing it as auto front ends tend to do, makes me think heading in that direction would be the best start. Comments?

I'm not an aero expert, but from what I've read from people that are, the general thing about cars is that they are sub-sonic and air begins to move around even before it gets to the vehicle. A rounded shape into the wind is best suited to do this. A pointed front end does not do as well except for wind that hits directly head-on. In real world practice, that would seldom be the case. Air moving over that sharp angle has more tendency to break away causing drag inducing turbulence. A similar thing happens with squarish front ends because of the hard angles. Having the narrowing end toward the rear allows the air pressure to regain equilibrium with the surround air mass without breaking off from the surface causing drag. Nature is good at showing how to move through the air with the least resistance. For sub sonic speeds, the teardrop is that shape. We just try to get close approximations of that shape to get the least amount of drag penalty to our vehicles from our efforts in that regard. Or as Craig Vetter would say: "The truth is, streamlining is round in the front and pointed at the rear."

Generally speaking, blunt rear ends don't work as well as tapering back ends do because air has a hard time staying attached (thus causing drag) when the surface is angled too sharply away from the air flow direction.

Things happen somewhat differently at super sonic speeds where pointy front ends are good. But not to worry, we don't go that fast anyway.
The Following User Says Thank You to stiletto2 For This Useful Post:
BlueCruxHF (02-08-2013)