View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 09:14 PM   #37 (permalink)
fb_bf
Electric MG Midget

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
you think electric rates are going to stay the same in the next 10 years?

As I said. The leaf fills needs in a niche market. In order to own a leaf your commute needs to be less than 100 miles round trip and allow a MINIMUM 7 hour period to charge. You have to have some sort of way to plug your vehicle in to electrical power.. If your battery is depleted you're done for at least a few hours or more. Most Americans would have a difficult time having a leaf as a primary vehicle. If you draw it out long enough yeah a vehicle that costs less to fuel would be cheaper but I think your math is way off.
I have to reply to this idea. Many people have commutes less than 100 miles in one day. If you really look at what you drive in one day I suspect it is way less than 100 miles. Everybody talks about the time it takes to charge a car, but my cars sit in the garage for at least 10 hours every night. Why is everybody so worried about the time it takes to charge? A person owing an electric car will most likely have to own a gas version as well. (I think that is a premise for owning an electric car.) Many people already own two cars. When you need to go more than 100 miles in a day use your ICE car. My electric car can go over 100 miles on a charge. I don't even have the charger in the car because it is extra weight. I haven't even come close to being stranded. I suspect most electric car owners have adapted the same way I did. (not that there was much adaptation needed since I almost never drive 100 miles in a day) The best part of owning an electric car is that when I need to run an errand, it doesn't cost me more in gas than the item I need to get. I really think they are more usable than the general public believes. I do think that without rebates, they don't make sense. But with the price drops reported, and the rebates I think many people could save money in the long run.