View Single Post
Old 06-17-2008, 09:09 AM   #21 (permalink)
elhigh
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 50.48 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steensn View Post
Do you guys ever experiance booster runout? With the engine off and there possible being heavy traffic, aren't you afraid you'll run outta vaccum on your booster? This the whole reason hybrids need a special braking system, so that you have boosted pressure if you need it.

Maybe it is common practice not to cut the engine in heavy traffic?
My vacuum booster is good for two full stops before the pedal gets hard - really hard. Of course, by the time I've come to a complete stop, there's a better-than-even chance I'm going to need the engine to get up to speed again, so there's my booster restocked with, um, nothingness.

Lots of light taps on the brakes will run the booster down, too, but if I find I'm having to tap the brakes while coasting, I'll engage the tranny to spin the engine in high gear, which provides some drag, recharges the booster, and give me plenty of spin to refire the engine if needed.

As to the original thread: It sounds like one of your engine accessories doesn't want to spin up as fast as you're trying to make it spin. Either you're dumping the clutch for engine restarts, which could be alleviated with a gentler reengagement, or one or more accessories is experiencing a lot of drag. Also consider checking the belt tensions.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.