View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013, 06:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
brucepick
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog 44 View Post
What's the elevation change like for both the road and track rally? Also what speeds are we talking about in each section?
In the past the target speed for each track lap was 45 mph.

Elevations of low and high points of the "Short Course" at WGI: 1507', 1631'. The Short Course excludes the "Boot" section of WGI.
Net elevation change: 124'
The "Boot"section of the track is not used in this event. The Boot's minimum elevation is 1490' and would give a larger delta.

See elevation map here

The most impressive grade change on the track begins in the "Ninety" turn, which you enter after passing the grandstand. In the Ninety, the track begins a quick drop from 1545' to 1507'. The first curve of "The Esses" is located at the bottom of that drop. I enjoy that section of the track every time I pass through.

Quote:
Do they determine your category by Old, or New EPA mpg? Cause the old EPA is 56mpg combined, and new is 47mpg combined for the Automatic non-leanburn version of the Insight (Of which i will probably be the only entry). The reason I ask is the classes are 45-50mpg, then 51-65mpg. The second category consisting of P&G Lean burn monstrosities getting 95.1mpg!
1)
I believe that in past years, the GGP has changed the class bracketing cutoffs as needed to respond to the field of vehicles entered. You may find new classes created, or classes dropped if no entrants compete. Of course it's nice to be assigned to a lower class, and then excel. My perception has been that classing at the GGP is done with an eye towards having vehicles of roughly similar basic capabilities competing against each other. Seems reasonable to me.

2)
Based on the GGP competition classes I've been assigned to in past years, I believe they are using the current EPA numbers for all entries. This puts all EPA-based entries on a fairly even playing field, as the currently posted EPA numbers for older cars have been adjusted by the EPA to show what the cars likely would be rated if tested and scored by the current methods. No rating method is perfect but I'll credit both the EPA and the GGP for making efforts to use apples-to-apples comparisons.

Quote:
Aero mods on a stock car, is that considered stock or modified?
In past years, the GGP has asked only whether your vehicle is modified or not.

Just recently I sent organizer Bob Gillespie some suggestions on how to more precisely define the line between modified and not modified. I'm sure it would still be based on whatever the entrant checks on the form because the GGP's volunteer staff is busy enough just verifying that all lights work and the vehicle has been fueled. But some stated guidelines on the form would be a real help.

I would think that any feature originally built into the car would not be a mod. Improvements added later, um, I would think they would be a mod.

Eventually the GGP could also start making finer distinctions such as:
If you restore a lost oem belly pan by building a coroplast one, is it a mod? Maybe not.
If a car has only one (or two??) minor mods, maybe it would not be classed as modded? That could be reasonable if other modded cars in the class had much more extensive mods, such as a performance gasser engine replaced with an econobox small diesel. Or gassers replaced with a battery bank and an electric motor.

Last edited by brucepick; 02-14-2013 at 08:46 PM..