View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 03:25 PM   #28 (permalink)
razor02097
Master EcoModder

Tetanus - '95 Geo Tracker 4WD Base
90 day: 29.43 mpg (US)

300 - '82 Suzuki GS300 L
Last 3: 60.78 mpg (US)

Jeep - '98 Jeep XJ Cherokee Limited
90 day: 12.82 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by t vago View Post
My 2005 Magnum uses CAN bus data to actuate the turn signals. That can very easily be stored inside a mandatory black box. Steering wheel turn rates and position are also turned into CAN data, which can also be easily be stored in a mandatory black box. This isn't fevered imaginings from some tin-foil nutter, dude. This is from the factory service manual.

So you're a cop, now, huh? Tell me, then, why should you be easily allowed to get all this information?
I'm not sure how you change lanes but when I do the steering wheel doesn't move much more than the normal corrective actions of a road I.E. bumps, small curves, centering up in the lane, etc.

I ain't a cop bud... I just know if a cop asks to search I say "Officer I do not consent to searches" then keep my mouth shut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestclimb View Post
a 100 dollar navi knows where speed limits change, it could easily know where stop signs are. To think that a black box would not be connected to a GPS and a database of road signs is naive.

A great many cars computers already know steering angle, cabin heat settings and gobs of other things. It is not a stretch to think a "black box" could know blinker status.

Really you don't think that "we observed you speeding" is not probable cause to at least find the extent of that speeding? When "we observed you wondering in your lane" is probable cause to pull you over and have you do gymnastics (not to mention pat you down as an officer safety measure).
Ever notice how a lot of those GPS units are wildly inaccurate? I know because I have 3. Speed limit changes can take months. Then you have to use a computer to update so those black boxes have to have a way to OTA the updates.

Getting pulled over for a traffic violation does not automatically give probable cause to search your vehicle. Many drivers have a GPS which shows your max speed. How many officers pull them over then charge them with speeding based on that GPS reading?

Project Avalon: E bike build