View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 05:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
320touring
Master EcoModder

The Mistress - '88 Bmw 320i Touring SE
Team m8
Last 3: 27.17 mpg (US)

Germany Beadle - '91 Mercedes 300td (estate, N/A)
90 day: 24.63 mpg (US)

The Bloodylingo - '05 Citroen Berlingo Multispace Desire
90 day: 39.77 mpg (US)

Shanner Scaab - '03 Saab 9-5 estate Vector
90 day: 26.19 mpg (US)

Clio 182 - '05 Renault Clio RS 182 182
90 day: 31.73 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcyclist View Post
Does the 96 Golf TD have the magnesium oil pan like the TDI? I put an aluminum skid plate on my Golf and resisted the urge to lower. I continued with a coroplast belly pan to the rear bumper instead. There are some downsides to lowering but IMO it can make a car look good. I think it is safe to assume that if you raise your suspension to mount giant tires you will lose mpg but I am not sure the reverse will gain you anything measurable.
I honestly do not know re the sump- Think it may be steel.

The roads I use can be easily passed using the 328, and thats MUCH lower than I'd be going with the golf..the cheaper coilover kits prefer to have a bit of height to retain damping- 40-50mm drop max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty944 View Post
Reduced height springs are used primarily to lower the vertical center of gravity in race cars to improve handling in circuit racers Not reduce undercarriage airflow.
Undercarriage air flow is reduced somewhat but that is better achieved by air dams and chin spoilers in the frontal area.
Drag reduction is better achieved by the use of undercarriage slipstream modifications by using bolt on flat panels of a suitable materials.These can be attached in such a way as to reduce he under carriage air mass ( road clearance ) by the use of stand offs. this requires no modification the suspension or ride.
The cleaner aerodynamics also contribute to lower overall drag for better performance and gas millage. If the panels contact the ground they are a cheaper sacrificial donor than your exhaust system or other expensive components.
Frosty 944
i'm intending to fit a front airdam in addition to lowering the car- to get the majority of benefits of a bellypan, without the additional work, but you make valid points, especially if I was going to replace stock suspension that was in good order..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vman455 View Post
Since the cost is a wash (you'll spend the money either way, for a new stock suspension or lowered), I am strongly in favor of lowering. I've seen widely-varying estimates on Cd change when a vehicle is lowered, from -.01 per inch to -.08 claimed by Ford on the Fusion 999 hydrogen Bonneville car, which was lowered several inches (but not 8!)--but all sources agree, lowering a car has a beneficial effect on drag. The primary benefit, I think, is not in the (tiny) reduction in frontal area or airflow under the car, but the improvement in fineness ratio, as you mention. I put coilovers on my car a year and a half ago, dropped it just until there's no gap between the top of the tire and fender, and haven't looked back.
Thanks for the report oun your experience- I dont imagine I'll go as low as you suggest, more likely leave 1-2cm above the tyre for clearance reasons.

The addition of a front air dam should make up the "lost" drop!

US MPG for my Renault Clio 182

---------------------------------------------------