View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 12:36 PM   #117 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
I was able to get the battery cables disconnected.

There are 10 large bolts that hold the battery to the frame.

On both sides of the battery pack are a pair of the orange high-voltage cables. The right side is the regular connections, and it looks like the ones on the left are dedicated to the QUICK CHARGE connector.

Besides the orange cables on either side, there's also more typical wire harness connections. It's just one connector on the right, but 3 or 4 on the left.

I also disconnected the orange cables going towards the front of the car that runs the heater.

I believe that I got all the cables going to the pack, but it's hard to be sure. There is a lot that I can't see because it's ABOVE the pack, but below the car body.

The big one I'm still not sure about is the power cables between the inverter (on top of the transmission/motor in the back) and the battery pack.

I've seen in a few places where there are clips that mount wires to the outside of the pack, which had to be disconnected.

I'm trying to imagine how the power cables and then battery would have been installed in the first place. I would think they would make it so all the cables are in place, and then they just lift the battery right up under the car.

Besides those 10 main bolts that hold the pack on, theres a couple of smaller ones towards the back that look like they may connect to both the pack and the body of the car, and they are right in where the front of the rear spring connects to the body as well. I can't imagine having to disconnect the rear suspension to remove the pack, but it's hard to see quite where those bolts all go.

Of course I'm also working in the dark, on the ground, with the bottom of the car nine inches from the floor.

And I don't even have an owners manual!

Here's the second half of that video.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos

Last edited by bennelson; 02-18-2013 at 01:05 PM.. Reason: video part two
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bennelson For This Useful Post:
Christ (02-19-2013), NeilBlanchard (02-19-2013)