View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013, 12:54 AM   #69 (permalink)
BarelyAWake
EcoModding Apprentice

Thank you very much for the links sendler, the wiring wiki should help dispel some of the unfathomable mysteries within that hub heh - those drop out plates/torque arms are tempting... on the other hand should I need them it'd behoove me to fabricate my own as they'd fit my somewhat unusual drop outs better, heck if it comes to that I may cut them off entirely to make thicker & stronger drop outs, fortunately I've access to such basic machining tools, both TIG & MIG as well so I can avoid "bolt-on" accessories & just simplify things with a complete replacement, but I'll keep that link handy just in case

It seems I'd forgotten just how mean a four smoker can sound - this 49cc Lifan has defo got some attitude! After hooking everything up, cautiously pouring maybe a quarter gallon of fuel in the tank, then triple checking for leaks & overflow I hadta make this little vid so I wouldn't be out in my shop revving it all the time, giggling maniacally;

MVI_3141 - YouTube

...bear in mind it's not as loud as it seems, the cam being right behind it & indoors no less. I may still make an additional baffle tube for the exhaust (distance rides in comfort), but I may not need to after all, we'll see I s'pose.

Aside from makin' vroomie sounds for real at last, I did attend to a bunch more little things as well (before the vroom noises, but who's counting) - again mostly boring, unpic-worthy things & yep you guessed it, more wiring. A few more sending units, temp & tach and cutting some heat guards - naturally none of it being nearly as simple as it could have been lol

There's a coupla different ways to wire the tachometer, I chose the more "professional" route of adding a blade connector & attaching the pickup directly to the coil (rather than plug wire wrapping etc)... this had the interesting effect of pointing out one of my mistakes as in the process I dislodged a bullet connector within the harness & lost all spark. Way-too-long later, once I figured out where & what the problem was, I added 1/2" to that wire then went through & crimped every bullet connector to be sure - they'll not come apart as easily now, but that's the point I s'pose heh

The temp sender turned out to have a surprise for me as well, as the area on the head around where the spark plug goes is stepped with machined ridges that prevent the sender from sitting flat, which ofc means the plug wouldn't seat. So out came the dremel again, it'd been a while... I think it missed me lol

As for the heat shields... they're not absolutely necessary, I've seen this same engine in kiddie four-wheelers with wiring just as close & no guards at all... but I figured better safe than sorry as I don't like the long-term effects of radiant heat on the wire's insulation, connectors & I don't wish to find out if the LED & other assorted relays can put up w/it, not to mention another layer between my sweaty back and the motor can't hurt *shrug* The plastic cable-tie is just a temporary measure to keep things in place during fitting BTW;