View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 05:30 PM   #30 (permalink)
wyatt
EcoModder

Big Salsa - '04 Toyota Sienna LE

Silver - '10 Toyota Prius III
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
Lithium Ion batteries are also in your cell phone and your lap top. Aren't you afraid your cell phone might catch fire?
Your cell phone has a single battery cell. This means extremely low risk of fire.

Bigger things require several cells being wired together. If they are not very well balanced in terms of charge, they will tend to grow fibers between cells. The Li-Ion liquids used are highly flammable. When the fibers reach from one cell to another, they short the system generating large amounts of heat. The same fibers will grow if the wiring is done incorrectly. There are many variables and I won't claim to know them all. Many have used or planned to use Li-Ion and abandoned it due to the complexities.

As far as laptops are concerned, do a Google search for Laptop Battery Fires. There have been a few recalls for these batteries over the years. I remember at least a few people being very badly burned. Am I worried? No.

I am not saying that the XL1 is unsafe, but I am saying we have to understand that there may be a risk associated with that particular battery choice.