View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 02:20 AM   #70 (permalink)
BarelyAWake
EcoModding Apprentice

This weekend started off with an uninspiring but needful shop cleaning... again /sigh

What with the milk crates & coffee cans filled with randomness everywhere, the tangled bits of wire, snipped cable tie ends, lil gobs of solder, piles of not-quite-what-I-needed parts & pieces, random schematic printouts, scattered tools and other whatsits, not to mention all the tracked in filth & debris from Mongo doing service as a winter beater - it really was at the point that getting to the taddy to work on it was as much work as working on it is >.<

So, as a "reward" for my efforts I promised myself that once the shop floor was clean again, I could play a bit w/the taddy, instead of tinkering I'd block it up on the floor, run an exhaust tube outside & just sit on the thing, trying out all the controls "live" including engine(s) start & run as well as shifting both pedal power & jackshafted four stroke, then full acceleration while trying to keep everything synchronized (pedal/electric/ICE trigger throttles & twist shifters) - not just playing as it turned out as I learned that although these double fistfuls of control assemblies seem complicated, they are in fact not bad at all - they take a bit of getting used to & it'd be easier with some load on the engines/pedals (spins up far too fast w/o it), but all in all I'm quite pleased, the only faults I found during the simulated runs were that I need to swap the ICE start/run switch & the main lighting switch assembly as I can't reach the ICE throttle to give it a bit during a cold start & that ofc I need to adjust the indexing on the rear derailleur... minor points really.

Other'n that I'm very happy with the controls, I seemed to adapt to them quickly & other than the cold ICE start everything's easy to reach w/o letting go;

& here's another lil vid, some gear runs w/just the ICE and showing I haven't got the indexing quite right yet ofc lol;

motorized recumbent tadpole gear indexing & shifting demo - YouTube

...and if you're wondering why I'm not just doin' laps in the parking lot, there is this to contend with ATM heh;

Last edited by BarelyAWake; 02-25-2013 at 02:37 AM..