View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 02:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
alvaro84
Master EcoModder

Teresa - '04 BMW F650CS
Motorcycle
90 day: 80.53 mpg (US)

The YARDIS - '99 Toyota Yaris 1.0
90 day: 59.52 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
As a person that owns a motorcycle with a 3 gallon fuel tank let me say that it is VERY difficult to get accurate fuel economy calculations.
True, smaller volume is bad for the accuracy (my Teresa has a 4-gallon tank, it's a bit better). This is why I try to go as long as I can with a tank, well beyond the low fuel warning (there's officialy 4 liters | more than a gallon fuel left then, which is easily more than 100km, even under the worst conditions) - to minimize this inaccuracy, and to maximize range.

Funny enough, but I can fill up our motorcycles much more accurately than our car. They have relatively wide filler neck where I can physically see the fuel level. The YARDIS has a narrow filler which is obstructed by either the nozzle or a little metal valve plate, so I usually don't have the faintest idea where the fuel level is So I can only play the 'fill to click, pull back the nozzle a bit, repeat' game

Which can result in spilling the expensive and toxic liquid, further deteriorating the already uncertain accuracy Yes, I'm new at it (first car, first few tanks) and still practicing, but I'm not amused by this game.