View Single Post
Old 06-18-2008, 04:29 AM   #25 (permalink)
lunarhighway
Master EcoModder

vectra a - '95 Opel Vectra GLS
90 day: 37.51 mpg (US)
no at the time of the post i was still working of the aluminum version, and had taken of the plastic one, so for a few days i was driving with the car in stock configuration (appart form wheeldams wich i'm reviseing too)

when i originally put the first tray on i thought driveing had changed, but things like "stability" are difficult to feel when you're driveing day to day... on a windy day any car might feel less stable, but when i took the tray off again i did get the impression the car drove worse again, so i really think it did something good.

although things are not dramatic, i don't think the average person would detect if its there or not from driveing the car...

now i've been driveing for a couple of days with the aluminum version. so far it's been grate apart from a rattle when a smam the door, wich makes the car sound cheap, but a little rubber in the right place will cure that.

i get the impression the plastic version might have been a hair better at sound proofing, while the aluminum version seems to keep the heat in the engine bay longer, wich is nice.
i'd driven the car and parked it outside at my girlfieds home, quite a while later we drove of and i remember being surprised the engine was warmer and the car drove nicer right away.

i've considdered placeing the plasic tray inside the metal one to get both the sound and heat insulation, but perhaps i'll use the plastic for a rear defuser so we'll see.

i still can't comment on FE changes...haven't gone trought a full tank yet, and it'll take a few tanks to be certain it works (i drove half this tank without the tray and half with so this resuly might not show the full effect although in theory it should be slightly better than average)

as you can see the sides are still exposed. yesterday i made some plastic spacers to fair these over and to serve as a basis for better wheel dams.
i don't want to compromise brake cooling though, as i damaged a break rotor once on my last car, so i know it's possible!

i think i'll make an opening above the wheel dam so the high pressure will force air in, this will also eliminate some lift.

i hope the tray will help so i don't have to start looking for a design flaw or take it of, we'll see

*i can coast for miles and miles and miles*