View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 01:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
btroutmt
EcoModding Lurker

XFi taller gearing & Tach

Morning Everyone!

I recently scored a 91 XFi with 144k miles, with a good portion of those miles being towed behind an RV. She's in pretty good shape and I'd like to do a couple things her. I don't know a ton about the XFi, but after reading metrompg's webiste, I'm entertaining the idea of doing a few things. First, I'd love for the gears to be a bit taller. I feel like she's a bit wound up on the highway and I feel like there is quite a bit of fuel saving potential there. It looks like Metrompg did a final drive swap from a 93 swift and had good results from it. Is it the final drive from any model and year of swift and is it the whole transmission I would need? And is the install pretty intensive? I'm not too much of a mechanic but have access to a lift and equipment at the auto hobby shop on base and a guy that knows a bit about the metro can help me out. There is a 93 swift being parted out on my local craigslist but I'd like to make sure I know what I would need before checking it out. Also, it is a 91 so it lacks a tachometer in the gauge cluster. I've read into it and it looks like if I can find a cluster from a 91 convertable I'll be in business with a tach. Any insight on where to look for one of those? Any help is appreciated. Thanks all!