Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2013, 01:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

XFi taller gearing & Tach

Morning Everyone!

I recently scored a 91 XFi with 144k miles, with a good portion of those miles being towed behind an RV. She's in pretty good shape and I'd like to do a couple things her. I don't know a ton about the XFi, but after reading metrompg's webiste, I'm entertaining the idea of doing a few things. First, I'd love for the gears to be a bit taller. I feel like she's a bit wound up on the highway and I feel like there is quite a bit of fuel saving potential there. It looks like Metrompg did a final drive swap from a 93 swift and had good results from it. Is it the final drive from any model and year of swift and is it the whole transmission I would need? And is the install pretty intensive? I'm not too much of a mechanic but have access to a lift and equipment at the auto hobby shop on base and a guy that knows a bit about the metro can help me out. There is a 93 swift being parted out on my local craigslist but I'd like to make sure I know what I would need before checking it out. Also, it is a 91 so it lacks a tachometer in the gauge cluster. I've read into it and it looks like if I can find a cluster from a 91 convertable I'll be in business with a tach. Any insight on where to look for one of those? Any help is appreciated. Thanks all!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-07-2013, 03:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,964 Times in 3,606 Posts
Congrats on the XFi find!

Project 'nerd gear': taller tranny transplant nets +5.2% MPG - MetroMPG.com = that's the page referred to. There's also a discussion thread here: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...-gain-107.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by btroutmt View Post
First, I'd love for the gears to be a bit taller. I feel like she's a bit wound up on the highway and I feel like there is quite a bit of fuel saving potential there. It looks like Metrompg did a final drive swap from a 93 swift and had good results from it. Is it the final drive from any model and year of swift and is it the whole transmission I would need?
I think that's awesome you want taller gearing, since the XFi has the lowest factory gearing of all the 3-cylinder cars.

You need the trans from a 1.3L SOHC engine with 13 inch wheels, not the DOHC Swift GT (which has a short / numerically bigger final drive).

The other gear ratios will be identical, so the only reason I wouldn't just put the Swift transmission in the car is if there was something wrong with the other gears. Then you could swap the final drive gears into your transmission.

Quote:
And is the install pretty intensive? I'm not too much of a mechanic but have access to a lift and equipment at the auto hobby shop on base and a guy that knows a bit about the metro can help me out.
You'll be fine. It was my first ever major drivetrain work on a FWD car. It took me about half a day (elapsed hours), taking my time. I left the engine in the car (supported), and took the transaxle off, slid the replacement on. The hard part was getting the replacement to line up with the engine (meshing the splined input shaft on the trans to the clutch hub on the engine). Got it eventually, lots of wiggling and some swearing.

To ensure you're getting the right transmission, you can count the teeth on the diff gearing if you like. Google to find the correct number. It's probably posted here on EcoModder or on TeamSwift.

Quote:
looks like if I can find a cluster from a 91 convertable I'll be in business with a tach. Any insight on where to look for one of those? Any help is appreciated. Thanks all!
I'm sure it's been done a hundred times, but that one's beyond me.

Good luck & keep us posted!
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 03-07-2013, 04:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

none - '98 Honda Civic HX

none - '00 Chevy (Geo) Metro base

none - '00 Saturn SL1 base
For the 3.52 trans make sure its from a pre 1995 Swift 1.3
The Following User Says Thank You to iveyjh For This Useful Post:
Gasoline Fumes (03-09-2013)
Old 03-07-2013, 04:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
I think that's awesome you want taller gearing, since the XFi has the lowest factory gearing of all the 3-cylinder cars.
Well I know it sounds crazy saying the gears aren't tall enough for me, but I'm used to driving an 85 CRX HF with RPMs <2K @60 mph
Old 03-07-2013, 06:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,964 Times in 3,606 Posts
Not crazy at all. Only the automakers seem to think everybody wants to be driving down the highway at 3000 RPM at 60 mph in top gear.

I'm with you! Give me 2k RPM at 60. If I need more power to pass or climb, hey, I'll fiddle with that gear stick thingy that almost magically lets me select a different ratio! What a concept.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 03-09-2013, 05:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Too many cars

CRXFi - '88 Honda CRX XFi

Insight 256 - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights

Insight 5342 (no IMA) - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 66.3 mpg (US)
I'm turning 1800 RPM at 60 MPH with my HF trans and I sometimes wish it was even taller on the highway.

2006 Honda Insight (parts car)
1988 Honda CRXFi
1994 Geo Metro

Reply  Post New Thread