View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013, 02:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
razor02097
Master EcoModder

Tetanus - '95 Geo Tracker 4WD Base
90 day: 29.43 mpg (US)

300 - '82 Suzuki GS300 L
Last 3: 60.78 mpg (US)

Jeep - '98 Jeep XJ Cherokee Limited
90 day: 12.82 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Your vehicles are a depreciating asset. Don't forget to factor in taxes, insurance, DEQ, maintenance, etc, and the "investment" is less lucrative. I'm not saying you aren't saving money, just make sure you factor all of the expenses into the equation.

People on my motorcycle forum like to imagine all the money they will save buying a crotch-rocket, but I go through a rear tire every 3000 miles at a cost of about $200. Then there is chain maintenance... a crotch-rocket is never part of a money saving strategy.

I don't think my vehicles can depreciate much more unless they are totaled lol

Believe me I have factored it in.... Maintenance on the motorcycle is calculated at $92 per year in a 5 year maintenance schedule. This is thanks to Suzuki's engineers the only consumable I have to worry about is engine oil, greases and other lubrications. The cost of a set of tires was $113 including new tubes. Registration is $47.50 per year. Insurance is $150 per year. Total is $289.50.

Even if gasoline was $3 per gallon (wouldn't it be nice?) it saves me about 19c in fuel for every mile I ride vs driving the Jeep the same mile. Which means at $3 per gallon I would have to ride 1524 miles per year to "break even". Last year I rode 1950 miles and it rained much of the season.... The more the price of a gallon of fuel, the more money I save.

I don't have enough data on the Tracker yet but thus far the CPM is literally half of what my Jeep's CPM is. Saving the wear and tear on the Jeep is nice. Even just looking at tire wear....a set of tires on the Jeep can set me back over a grand... The new tires on the tracker with alignment was under $450. The insurance is also half the cost of the Jeep's insurance.

Project Avalon: E bike build