Thread: Tesla Sighting
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2008, 07:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Seen it!

This morning, the Tesla showed up.

I took some photos, however, MY camera was left at home, so I had to use somebody elses. That somebody is not around right now, nor is his camera.

I will load the photos onto my computer when I get a chance.

There was also a Tesla rep there, who was pretty cool to talk to. He did pop the trunk, but I didn't get to see under the hood. I could see through the big slits in the hood that there were two big fans under there.

The whole vehicle is sort of strange.

It's a sports car, which is really more designed for looking cool than being aerodynamic. It does have a FULL belly pan. Too bad they didn't have a mirror under it to show that off.

It looks shockingly like a gas car. The charger plugs in to what would otherwise be a gas cap. (Apparently it is a Lotus frame)
It doesn't have any giant letters saying ELECTRIC on it anywhere. The only real hint that it's electric is no tailpipe and the bellypan.

The gear selector is interesting. There is a two-speed gear selector. Just gears one and two like on a POLE POSITION arcade machine, plus reverse off to the side.

The rep told me that this particular car has the two speed gear selector, but the motor is actually in a single fixed gear, in a ratio closer to what was second.

The trunk is TINY as it is a sports car. The motor, batteries, and power electronics are all in the back. Motor is air cooled, but batteries and controls are liquid cooled.

Most of the car is carbon fiber.

I wish this car could have been out on a race track. I think it's hard to appreciate an electric car when it's just parked in a hotel lobby.

Here's a funny bit. There were two other cars there, both hybrids. They were at the event a couple of days before the Tesla. Both had drip pans underneith them. I mentioned to somebody that since the Tesla is all electric, it wouldn't need that, because there was nothing to drip!

Sure enough. When it showed up, there was nothing under the Tesla but floor.

Pics still to come.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos