View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013, 05:52 PM   #52 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatr911 View Post
I love the recomendation for a 14,000 mile interval next time. And it will probably increase from there.

So, to put this in perspective Redpoint5, what is your driving cycle like? You're in Salem, OR so the climate is relatively temperate = good for oil life.

Oh, and for the curmudgeons, what did the Mobil 1 look like at 11,900 miles?
I change my oil every year in March, when we finally start seeing several warm and clear days in a row. I'll likely not go 14,000 miles since I change on a time schedule, and not on how long I believe the oil will go.

I work in Vancouver Washington, and my commute is 7 miles each way, with half being freeway. There are 9 potential stops along the way, and it takes an average of 13min. This would be an average speed of 32mph.

My fiance also lives 7 miles away and the drive is very similar. I also visit Portland once a week and have to fight stop and go traffic and look for parking spots. Every other week I travel 70mi to Salem to visit parents/grandparents, nearly entirely freeway/country roads. This bumps my average speed up to 40mph.

The oil is very dark, but it remains slightly transparent on the dipstick. Collect any quantity of oil and it just appears black. Visual inspection of oil is worthless. My diesel truck has dark black oil soon after an oil change.

Concerning the slight elevation of lead and iron in my sample; I do 2 things that might contribute to that. First, I run 87 octane but the owners manual recommends 92. I don't hear or feel pinging, but my engine would compensate the timing to accommodate the fuel and driving conditions. Second, I run lower RPM but high load. Accelerating I often maintain 90% load until I get up to speed. I also P&G when there is a downhill to assist my glide so that I'm not affecting traffic as much.

Would the octane or high loads account for increased piston or crank bearing wear?

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!