View Single Post
Old 03-17-2013, 11:37 AM   #158 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault_megane_dci View Post
there are all kind of funky conversions on dieselbikes.net but there are two mainstream :

- car engines for a a very heavy yet adequately powered bike

- smaller industrial engines with marginal performance.

Had I kept on the idea of running a diesel bike, I would have split a car engine in a parralel twin at 360° using a cut off crank and cam to save on weight and still keep around 30hp (in N/A form).
But I abandonned the idea because I didn't figure out what fuel pump to use and was not to confident I could simply block off two injectors pipe.

Also, in the recent years, diesel engines have improve so much it was kind of a waste not to get the latest technology, leading to more headache as to how to adapt things on the cheap.

As of today I would go for a VW SDi engine split in half matted to a RWD car gearbox used in transverse form, say a BMW item but is bad and I'd rather focus on EV !
I believe you can do this with rotary pumps, but not inlines. I'm not sure on the specifics of why one may work and the other doesn't, but that's what I've been told while trying to come up with an idea to build a 300CI diesel from a Ford gasser.