Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2013, 11:14 PM   #151 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
The 1.5's are considerably less potent, but they also drove a 2500lb car to 60+ via the 4 speed, so they're not at all 'terrible' on the list of engines out there.
Plus it's one of the easiest engines to use WVO as an alternative fuel

Quote:
the Street Fighter project I mentioned above may actually BECOME the diesel Katana... I'm just not as interested in putting the 750 motor and trans back into the bike as I was when I started on it in December last year, and would rather have something more 'evil' and 'dirty' and 'mechanical' looking. Mad Max style, if you will.
I'm also interested in building a Diesel motorcycle with a steampunk-ish style.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-28-2013, 12:33 AM   #152 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Teresa - '04 BMW F650CS
Motorcycle
90 day: 80.53 mpg (US)

The YARDIS - '99 Toyota Yaris 1.0
90 day: 59.52 mpg (US)
I've read a series of articles where a Hungarian guy built a chopper from scratch, around a Daihatsu diesel and a Ural gearbox. I don't remember the numbers, but it's definitely lighter than those 700-1000 pounds you keep mentioning. And there are no FE figures. It can't even be made street legal here, so I guess it won't be used under real circumstances ever
Old 02-28-2013, 12:36 AM   #153 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvaro84 View Post
I've read a series of articles where a Hungarian guy built a chopper from scratch, around a Daihatsu diesel and a Ural gearbox.
I knew there was a Taiwanese-born guy, son of Christian American missionaries, repowering an Ural with a Robin Diesel engine in Mongolia, intending to use WVO as fuel.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:43 PM   #154 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

MetroScoopy - '09 CHF50 Honda Metropolitan 50cc
90 day: 97.98 mpg (US)

Training Shoe - '99 Hyundai Hyundai Atoz Prime 797cc
90 day: 31.28 mpg (US)
We have little diesel powered 3 wheelers here (418 cc Yanmar powered) that do 90 mpg in pure city traffic. They only make 9 bhp though so it might not be that interesting and fun, seems how my Cub 100 makes 9 bhp.
Christ (03-17-2013)
Old 03-16-2013, 03:14 PM   #155 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

la_voiture_de_courses - '03 Renault Megane Estate
OldContinents
90 day: 44.34 mpg (US)

xiao lan - '01 Audi A2
90 day: 38.88 mpg (US)

Brit iron - '92 Mini Mini
90 day: 45.5 mpg (US)

Prius - '09 Toyota PRIUS Lounge
90 day: 47.37 mpg (US)

Beemer - '06 BMW F800 ST
90 day: 53.06 mpg (US)
there are all kind of funky conversions on dieselbikes.net but there are two mainstream :

- car engines for a a very heavy yet adequately powered bike

- smaller industrial engines with marginal performance.

Had I kept on the idea of running a diesel bike, I would have split a car engine in a parralel twin at 360° using a cut off crank and cam to save on weight and still keep around 30hp (in N/A form).
But I abandonned the idea because I didn't figure out what fuel pump to use and was not to confident I could simply block off two injectors pipe.

Also, in the recent years, diesel engines have improve so much it was kind of a waste not to get the latest technology, leading to more headache as to how to adapt things on the cheap.

As of today I would go for a VW SDi engine split in half matted to a RWD car gearbox used in transverse form, say a BMW item but is bad and I'd rather focus on EV !
Old 03-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #156 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault_megane_dci View Post
there are all kind of funky conversions on dieselbikes.net but there are two mainstream :

Had I kept on the idea of running a diesel bike, I would have split a car engine in a parralel twin at 360° using a cut off crank and cam to save on weight and still keep around 30hp (in N/A form).
But I abandonned the idea because I didn't figure out what fuel pump to use and was not to confident I could simply block off two injectors pipe.

Also, in the recent years, diesel engines have improve so much it was kind of a waste not to get the latest technology, leading to more headache as to how to adapt things on the cheap.

As of today I would go for a VW SDi engine split in half matted to a RWD car gearbox used in transverse form, say a BMW item but is bad and I'd rather focus on EV !
I would love to see one of the Subaru 2.0L Boxer diesel engines mated to a BMW gearbox in a motorcycle. Man, talk about a sweet highway bike!

That enginetranny combo in a 2 wheel drive side car rig would really wake a Ural up.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:32 AM   #157 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda100 View Post
We have little diesel powered 3 wheelers here (418 cc Yanmar powered) that do 90 mpg in pure city traffic.
Might be similar to those licensed versions of the post-war Piaggio Ape still made by Bajaj Auto in India.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:37 AM   #158 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault_megane_dci View Post

I believe you can do this with rotary pumps, but not inlines. I'm not sure on the specifics of why one may work and the other doesn't, but that's what I've been told while trying to come up with an idea to build a 300CI diesel from a Ford gasser.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:42 PM   #159 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Fusion - '16 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
With either injection pump, you cannot simply block off the injector line. Since the injector is a positive displacement pump, this will cause something to break.

In an inline pump you can simply disable pump elements by welding them into the fully extended position or grinding each cam lobe down.

Rotary pump? I am not sure how you could disable a single cylinder as there is only one pumping element on a swash plate.

EDIT: duh...it's easier than that. Instead of disabling the pump element, simply take the unused injection line and plumb it to the fuel return line (tank).
Old 03-17-2013, 01:47 PM   #160 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

la_voiture_de_courses - '03 Renault Megane Estate
OldContinents
90 day: 44.34 mpg (US)

xiao lan - '01 Audi A2
90 day: 38.88 mpg (US)

Brit iron - '92 Mini Mini
90 day: 45.5 mpg (US)

Prius - '09 Toyota PRIUS Lounge
90 day: 47.37 mpg (US)

Beemer - '06 BMW F800 ST
90 day: 53.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechman600 View Post
EDIT: duh...it's easier than that. Instead of disabling the pump element, simply take the unused injection line and plumb it to the fuel return line (tank).
Thinking out loud about this, there would be some item still worrying me :

- Injection line would inject at 300 bars. How to manage this ?

- Injection pump is build to have some kind of resistance from the injector for timing build up.
Would the lack of injector compromise the reliability of the pump ?

Obviously I am starting this hypothetical project on an older generation engine with indirect injection because they are cheaper and available in N/A form which makes adaptation more straight forward.

Reply  Post New Thread