View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013, 08:54 AM   #56 (permalink)
Miller88
Master EcoModder

XJ Cherokee - '00 Jeep Cherokee Sport
90 day: 12.96 mpg (US)

FoFO - '11 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 36.78 mpg (US)
I have to stick to 7500 / 6 months on the Focus - that's what Mr. Ford calls for. Once I'm out of warranty, I'll be extending to 10K (and doing a UOA).

The Jeep I usually go 6 months - because it doesn't get used much and I'm sure the oil gets moisture and acidic from sitting.

I took a friend's car (05 Accord V6) to a Valvoline Instant Oil Change on Sunday. They recommend 3000 mile intervals - even with Synthetic. I had Nextgen (recycled) put in and it should be good for 5K.

The car has sludge buildup in it - otherwise I would have done myself and used a synthetic and said it was good for 7K easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwebb View Post
Blackstone reports are good for the engine the report is for
only - conditions change - every application is unique -

there are so many puddingheads out there recommending complete nonsense that i try to ignore these threads

most engine oil sold is pure garbage , good only for lighting the barbeque or adding to your heating oil tank

go to the BITOG forums and study and learn

read the bottle
the specifications on the bottle MUST meet the minimum specifications for your application
many well known oils , do not meet any specifications
like ROYAL PURPLE ( big budget for advertising no budget for testing ? )

ALL European specification
ACEA A3 B3 A3 B4 oils are many times BETTER than most anything else yet some are not suitable for certain applications

there is no reason to not use the BEST oil for your particular application
"DINO" oil is never acceptable for any application

3k mile intervals kill cat converters and "dino" oil kills engines and cat converters - NEVER USE IT
From everything I read on there (and I spend too much time on there), it seems like anything under 5K on most dino oils is a waste and ... conventional doesn't cause converters to die.

Having a vehicle that burns a ton of oil ... now that kills converters.

Last edited by Miller88; 03-19-2013 at 09:01 AM..