View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 11:30 AM   #25 (permalink)
320touring
Master EcoModder

The Mistress - '88 Bmw 320i Touring SE
Team m8
Last 3: 27.17 mpg (US)

Germany Beadle - '91 Mercedes 300td (estate, N/A)
90 day: 24.63 mpg (US)

The Bloodylingo - '05 Citroen Berlingo Multispace Desire
90 day: 39.77 mpg (US)

Shanner Scaab - '03 Saab 9-5 estate Vector
90 day: 26.19 mpg (US)

Clio 182 - '05 Renault Clio RS 182 182
90 day: 31.73 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
responses:

Somebody beat me to all the local restauranteurs. I'm not willing to bid up the price of inedible grease for biofuel feedstock.

No way I'm gonna have a unibody car. Low top sills (for torsional stiffness) defeat me. I'm a body-on-frame kinda guy. Hence the F350 and Imp.

My truck is not 4x4, which makes it unusual. I rely on good tires and good driving (just like the state police) to get around in the winter. I like it because it is roomy, solidly made, reliable, a diesel and a manual transmission. Phil Knox (aerohead) drove it and found the combination of gearing and engine torque to be satisfactory.

Do I ever think of getting a smaller vehicle to replace the F-350? Yeah. Every time I park it. It's like parking the USS Nimitz. I muse about a Ranger with a Benz OM 606. The trick is mating up the DIN engine with a SAE bellhousing and transmission. Can be done, but will take some custom machining. As with many denizens of this site, I find an automatic to be unacceptable.
Fair play- just thinking out loud

I'd love to be able to afford to run an e30 with a 3.5 in it for a daily, without LPG..however, I'd need to be making 3x my salary to do that

a good compromise leaves everyone thoroughly frustrated

US MPG for my Renault Clio 182

---------------------------------------------------