View Single Post
Old 06-19-2008, 08:57 AM   #27 (permalink)
NoCO2
Bicycle Junky

Putsaround - '96 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

The Commuter - '07 Trek 1000SL
90 day: 617.28 mpg (US)

Zippy - '91 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 33.29 mpg (US)
I was going to stay out of the rest of this discussion, for I'm not much of a person to dispute legalities of things. But since the topic was brought up (and then it might be a good idea to get back on the original topic some more), I just wanted to say this.

Do I think it's right to make marijuana illegal and not some other things, not really, because I've seen the effects of marijuana and I know they are similar to things that are legal, like alcohol, in the respect that they alter your perception slightly of the things around you, however, it is far less harmful to you then alcohol can be in the long run. However, that aside. I do have a HUGE problem with the taxing bonanza that the government has been having on these "alternative fuel" ideas.

Why the HELL would you tax someone for not creating waste? Is that a penalty of some sort for wanting to stay "clean"? It just doesn't make any sense. I read a story one time a while back (may have been posted here, I can't remember TBH) where a couple lived in a well kept, suburban neighborhood. But they were different from everyone else in the fact that they produced NO WASTE, so they didn't need a trash company to come pick up their garbage so they canceled their service with the company, only to later be sued by the company because apparently the company had a contract with everyone in the neighborhood that said they had to use THAT company for trash collection. The company didn't believe the family when they told them that they didn't produce any waste, so they weren't actually breaking the contract, they just didn't need it anymore.

However, rants aside and to conclude my post and make some people think a little bit (and I don't want to bring religion into this as I'm not a religious person, but I have to bring this up). If you have ever read the Christian Bible, read through the book of Revelations, even if you just skim it. Then look at some of the things that America is doing today with trying to keep people hooked onto oil and continue to stay "dirty" as it were. (compare the beast from the ground to oil, you'll see what I mean)